none
Different Line spacing between "exact" and "atleast" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi~

I'm wondering about line spacing.

I set one paragraph is 'atleast 15pt' , and another is 'exact 15pt'.

Both paragrpahs have only a text is 10pt font size.

However, two paragraph's heights are different.

'atleast' paragraph's height is a little bit higher then the other one.

Why( what algorithm) do they different?

I need your help.

Have a great day.

Thank you~

• Edited by JJDad Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:03 AM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:58 AM

Answers

• Hi c200cgi,

Your observation is correct, when you use “atLeast” in
    <w:spacing w:after="0" w:line="300" w:lineRule="atLeast"/>
    the paragraph borders, the box around the paragraph, is higher than when “exact” is used in lineRule.

The difference can be even a little better seen if space=”0” is used in the top and bottom elements in pBdr.

The Word 2013 behavior is in compliance with ISO standard, 17.3.1.33 says “atLeast (Minimum Line Height) Specifies that the height of the line shall be at least the value specified, but might be expanded to fit its content as needed.”

The designer of Word thought that in this case a little bigger box around the paragraph looks better. If you want to know how the “looks better” is expressed in numbers, it is a product behavior, for which the
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word
    forum looks more appropriate.

Thanks, Vilmos
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 6:33 PM

All replies

• Hi c200cgi,

I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. In order to better understand your question, please send the file as attachment to ‘dochelp (at) microsoft (dot) com’ and in the e-mail indicate that it is for me. Be sure that the file does not contain any confidential information.

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:18 PM
  • Hi c200cgi,

Your observation is correct, when you use “atLeast” in
    <w:spacing w:after="0" w:line="300" w:lineRule="atLeast"/>
    the paragraph borders, the box around the paragraph, is higher than when “exact” is used in lineRule.

The difference can be even a little better seen if space=”0” is used in the top and bottom elements in pBdr.

The Word 2013 behavior is in compliance with ISO standard, 17.3.1.33 says “atLeast (Minimum Line Height) Specifies that the height of the line shall be at least the value specified, but might be expanded to fit its content as needed.”

The designer of Word thought that in this case a little bigger box around the paragraph looks better. If you want to know how the “looks better” is expressed in numbers, it is a product behavior, for which the
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word
    forum looks more appropriate.

Thanks, Vilmos
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 6:33 PM
  • Hi c200cgi,

Because there is no response to this issue since my last posting, I assume your question is answered, you don't need my assistance and I’ll mark my previous post as answer.

Thanks, Vilmos

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:41 PM