none
Problems installing 64 bit virtual machine OS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, still trying to get more familiar with virtualization but currently my physical machine is running Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit and when I set up a virtual machine via Windows Virtual PC and then point it to install a Windows 2008 Server 64 bit OS .iso file it shows the following error in the guest vm:

Attempting to load a 64-bit application, however this CPU is not compatible with 64-bit mode.

I ran the 64 bit machine checker utility file and it confirmed my physical machine can support 64 bit os guest vms.  In looking around I've even tried to update my physical machine's BIOS to enable virtualization but still get this error message and can't install a 64 bit OS on a guest vm.  I can get Windows 2008 Server 32 bit up as a guest vm but how can I get any 64 bit OS guest vm up & running on my physical machine?  Thanks in advance.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 11:02 PM

All replies

• Windows Virtual PC does not support 64-bit Guests

If you want to work with 64-bit guests on Windows 7, you will need either VMWare or Oracle Virtual Box.

Bill Chesnut | BizTalk Server MVP | Mexia Consulting | Melbourne Australia
    http://www.biztalkbill.com
    Please indicate "Mark as Answer" if this post has answered the question.
    • Proposed as answer by Robin Slot Sunday, September 25, 2011 10:23 PM
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 10:42 PM
  • That's what I kind of suspected. Thanks Bill, much appreciated :)

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Hello, still trying to get more familiar with virtualization but currently my physical machine is running Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit and when I set up a virtual machine via Windows Virtual PC and then point it to install a Windows 2008 Server 64 bit OS .iso file it shows the following error in the guest vm:

Attempting to load a 64-bit application, however this CPU is not compatible with 64-bit mode.

I ran the 64 bit machine checker utility file and it confirmed my physical machine can support 64 bit os guest vms.  In looking around I've even tried to update my physical machine's BIOS to enable virtualization but still get this error message and can't install a 64 bit OS on a guest vm.  I can get Windows 2008 Server 32 bit up as a guest vm but how can I get any 64 bit OS guest vm up & running on my physical machine?  Thanks in advance.

Have a look at my solution to the above.

VM for 64 bit systems

Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:50 AM
  • Have a look at my solution to the above.

VM for 64 bit systems

Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:50 AM