api.log RRS feed

• Question

• I have lots of errors on access denied to api.log api.chk files on various servers.  I understand that changing SQL service account will cause this error to occur and to fix is to modify the folder permissions to allow the service account change rights.

These errors doesn't appear to have any negative impact as far as I can see on SQL DB operations.  

So what is this file used for, by what in SQL, and what is the impact when SQL cannot write to it?

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 11:18 PM

Answers

• Hi JT_CP,

This file is a part of the Software Usage Metrics feature which accessed by SQL Server Service for logging. For more information about Software Usage Metrics feature, please refer to this article: User Access Logging Overview -> https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh849634.aspx

Best Regards,

Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by JT_CP Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:14 PM
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 1:55 AM