Scripting Windows 10 registry keys for default apps and programs RRS feed

• Question

• I have a bunch of Windows 10 systems that need to have Office 2013 installed on them.  By default, the file associations and protocols are tied to the universal Office apps on the Windows 10 system.  I currently manually edit the System settings to associate the OneNote 2013 (desktop) application for all OneNote files, but I would like to know where to find the registry keys to do this.  All current online documentation says that Windows 10 is different from previous OS versions, and to refer to this article, but the article has no information on registry keys.

The manual steps that I perform to edit the file associations are as follows:

- Open the "Settings" window

- Select the "Default apps" tab

- Select the "Set defaults by app" button at the bottom of the main view, which opens the "Set Default Programs" window.

- Scroll down to find "OneNote (desktop)" and select it.

- Click the "Set this program s default" button

How can I do the above manual steps through a batch script that edits the appropriate registry keys?

Thanks,

Tam Bui

Friday, June 17, 2016 12:31 AM

All replies

• I'm still hoping to get this question answered.

Kind regards,

Tam

Friday, July 1, 2016 11:35 PM
  • I would like to know the same registry settings so I can capture that location to set defaults for all users on our domain.
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:50 PM
  • I am also looking for the same. I hope someone answers this.
    Monday, August 21, 2017 7:07 AM
  • I see that several years later, there has been no answer, and now that MS has changed the way Office 365 ProPlus products install over the standard installed Windows store Office apps, it is breaking Office functionality for my users. There is a stuck copy of Office apps in the default apps area with no Office product installed. Un-installing the store apps then installing the new copy of ProPlus doesn't work either. Office rant over.

TLDR: Where are the HKLM reg keys for Windows 10 default apps, please?

Thursday, August 13, 2020 1:27 PM