Exception thrown trying to add a visual state group or animation RRS feed

• Question

• I have an app that uses a tab control. On one of the tabs I have a simple chart. Everything executes and displays fine when I run the app. I recently went to use Blend (ver. 4.0.20901) to add a visual state group for that chart and received an Exception Thrown Error when I did so, with "ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range." If I comment out the chart and just add a dummy textblock for that tab, I am able to click on "Add State Group" with no problem. I also do not have any problems if I am focused on any of the other tabs and everything compiles and executes fine otherwise. I also tried to just add a new storyboard while on that same tab with the chart and I get the same error. Are there any known issues about this?

Thanks,

Jim K.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 12:27 PM

All replies

• Found the answer to my problem:

When originally editing in Visual Studio I had added x:Names to the ColumnSeries (initially thinking that I may be accessing them that way through code). It allows you to do this and the application always ran as expected. However, when you try to edit in design mode in Expression Blend it also displays the chart elements okay, but as soon as I tried to add an animation or visual state group I would get the error above. I removed the names and now all is well.

Jim K.

Friday, October 8, 2010 10:48 AM