Multiple IIS Worker Process RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon All...!!!

Our Production Server having Multiple instances of IIS Worker Process, it is consuming memory up to 3 GB.

Can you guide me, how can we overcome this issue.

Thanks in Advance...!!!

Monday, March 7, 2016 9:34 AM

Answers

• Farm gardens aren't supported. That said, what I suspect the op is seeing is multiple w3wps for multiple Application Pools. One can always consolidate Application Pools, but we need to know the type. Are these Web Application app pools or Service Application app pools? Service Apps will use a name in the form of a GUID without the dashes, where as Web Application pools are a friendly name that you set.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, March 7, 2016 3:17 PM

All replies

• That is, based on the very limited information you've given, normal. Can you provide more detail about why you think this is an issue?
    • Marked as answer by Gopal Shinde Monday, March 7, 2016 9:57 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Gopal Shinde Monday, March 7, 2016 10:27 AM
    Monday, March 7, 2016 9:49 AM
  • It is consuming too much Memory.

Can we reduce number of Instances.?

I am new for SharePoint, Please Guide me.

Monday, March 7, 2016 9:57 AM
  • You can reduce the number of instances, but it isn't easy and if you're new to SharePoint you would find them quite difficult and there is a fair bit of risk in them. To give you a quick summary you would have to move some of your sites around to different URLs which would be a significant change to your business users.

SharePoint uses as much RAM as it thinks it can make use of. That means that it tends to increase the memory that it uses until the server runs out. This is a design decision and normally it works quite nicely.

Why do you need to reduce the memory?

Monday, March 7, 2016 10:30 AM
  • To fix the many w3wp.exe IIS worker process, you need to make sure you are not using farm gardens. Check the settings, How many worker processes for each application pool. By default, this value is 1, 

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

Monday, March 7, 2016 3:00 PM
  • Farm gardens aren't supported. That said, what I suspect the op is seeing is multiple w3wps for multiple Application Pools. One can always consolidate Application Pools, but we need to know the type. Are these Web Application app pools or Service Application app pools? Service Apps will use a name in the form of a GUID without the dashes, where as Web Application pools are a friendly name that you set.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, March 7, 2016 3:17 PM