none
Adding Table of Authorities categories for all users RRS feed

• Question

• Product I work on needs to add certain categories for Table of Authorities. By adding the needed values to [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Table of Authorities], the current user gets the needed categories. But the others users, who will log into the system, will not get this as Word looks under HKCU for the categories. How do I add it for all users at install time? I am using InstallShield for creating the installer.

Anup

Monday, February 4, 2013 11:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Anup,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I will involve some experts into this thread to see whether they can help you out. There might be some time delay, appreciate for your patience.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 4:47 AM
  • Hi Anup

It might be worth looking into this question in the IT Pro forums on TechNet. This is where you find the people who know about the Registry and using group policies. Certainly, one approach would be a group policy that sets this information for all users in a network.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 7:46 AM
  • This could be in right forum if you mean to package your addin and deploy. But if you don't mean an addin, it's off-topic though.

During Office 2007, while people want to deploy addin to all user, they register addin to hklm, it will get copied over to HKCU, which is a trick in Office. You may find some useful information from this blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mshneer/archive/2007/09/05/deploying-your-vsto-add-in-to-all-users-part-ii.aspx

regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 12:50 PM
  • Thanks Tom. I will wait.

Anup

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 4:13 PM
  • Hi Cindy,

Not sure if its a good idea to tell customers to run a group policy for our product to work. So I am looking for some sollution built into my installer or something.

Anup

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 4:15 PM
  • Hi Forrest,

What I have is a Word add-in (installed for all users on a box) that will help users generate TOA after auto-identifying citations. Our customers need a pre-defined set of TOA categories ordered in a particular way. The add-in calls into Word API to generate the TOA. I will take a look at the link you mentioned.

Anup

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 4:22 PM
  • Hi Forrest,

The link you provided does not help me define teh TOA categories for all users. It can work for current user (user installing the product) and for Local Machine. The TOA categories are read by Word from HKCU only.

Anup

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 4:34 PM
  • Hi ,

It turns out to be limitation of Word. So in you deployment package design, I would suggest you deploy it per user. Every user will install the addin on his own.

thanks.

• Proposed as answer by Forrest GuoModerator Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:52 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by anupj Wednesday, February 6, 2013 9:05 PM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:52 AM
  • Our end-users mostly will not have any install privileges. So that option would not be on the table.

Can installers write to HKEY_USERS registry and if yes will that be a solution?

Anup

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 6:16 PM
  • Hi Anup

Take your secenario to more specific, I suppose you work with a VSTO addin. VSTO addin has two ways of deployment, Windows installer (in msi format installer) and click-once deployment. Windows Installer deployment requires local admin priviledge, while click-once doesn't. As a normal user, he can run the VSTO installer (setup.exe, or *.vsto) this deploys to current user only.

As the Visual Studio generates the click-once installer through project property page, all through a click, we cannot specify more deployment actions in UI. In order to write registry key to HKCU, you need to write post deployment action yourself. The key is the IAddInPostDeploymentAction interface. Refer to the document for how to implement.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 6:57 AM
  • Our add-in is part of large product suite. We use Installshield for deployment (Installshield scripts to be more precise). I tried to write to HKCU via InstallShield script, but there seems to be some issues with Installshield being able to write to HKCU. I will work on that outside of this discussion thread.

So my original question would then be rephrased as: Will writing to HKUsers for Default and other SIDs result in our TOA categories being available to all users?

Second part of the question: Any idea if Microsoft will ever remove the limitation in Word for TOA Categories (say default for all users will be located in HKLM or something like that)?

Anup

Thursday, February 7, 2013 4:03 PM
  • Hi,

Q1. Will writing to HKUsers for Default and other SIDs result in our TOA categories being available to all users?

A: Permission is the major concern. The idea is kind of violation of individual user account safety. If this idea applied, an admin may change computer setting of other users, which doesn't make sense.  My suggestion is make the addin a separate click-once installer. It will install to current user only.

Q2. I'll submit your feedback to product team, if there're further information, I'll update the post.

best regards,

Friday, February 8, 2013 3:02 AM