Trouble running an excel 2003 file with macros in Excel 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• An excel 2003 workbook with macros always ran first by popping the "Enable Macros" window.  When I open the file with excel 2010, it goes into protected mode and never asks.  I have enabled macros in the Trust Center, but it doesn't look like the macros made the conversion. When I open macros there doesn't seem to be any.  When I open the VBA in developer mode, the module opens but nothing is on it.  The workbook and sheets are protected.  I am assuming that is why I can't see them (?)

I followed a previous blog suggestion and saved the original file as an excel macro-enabled workbook, but it didn't seem to help.

Anyone have any ideas?

The actual manifestation of the problem appears to be limited to an empty pull down menu.  I am not even sure that was constructed with a macro per se.  Incidently, the pull down wasn't even there until I saved the file as a macro-enabled workbook.

Friday, January 14, 2011 5:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Ken

There was a paradigm shift, moving from Excel 2003 to newer versions of Office. The file needs to be in a TRUSTED LOCATION in order for the macros to be enabled (or it needs to be digitally signed and the publisher trusted).

Take a look in the Trust Center under "Trusted locations" and make sure the folder where the file is saved is in the list.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Friday, January 21, 2011 10:28 AM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:49 PM

All replies

• Hello Ken,

Thanks for posting. For this issue, I am not able to reproduce this issue on my side. I created a Excel 2003 file with VBA in a machine with Office 2003 installed, and copy this file into a machine with Office 2010 installed. When I open it again, by pressing Alt+F11, I could see the VBA code.

Please ensure that Trust access to the VBA project object model and Enable all macros has been selected. If the information above does not help you, please see if there is any difference between us. If not, would you mind sharing the excel 2003 file with us? So I could use it on my side to reproduce this issue for further research. Thanks. Have a nice day.

Bessie Zhao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:05 PM
  • Hi Ken

There was a paradigm shift, moving from Excel 2003 to newer versions of Office. The file needs to be in a TRUSTED LOCATION in order for the macros to be enabled (or it needs to be digitally signed and the publisher trusted).

Take a look in the Trust Center under "Trusted locations" and make sure the folder where the file is saved is in the list.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Friday, January 21, 2011 10:28 AM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:49 PM