MediaElement Video Freezes When Accessing Remote Source

Question

• If I play back a video from a remote server (Set using MediaElement.Source = new Uri(remoteSource)) then once during almost every playback the Video will freeze with no error message and no way to recover. The only way to proceed is to reload the video and seek to the correct location. With no error message thrown this sadly needs to be a manual process by the user.

I've noticed that the fault seems more prolific the higher the bandwidth, normally once I get around 8mbps is when I see it at least once per video.

Has anyone come across this issue and if so do you
    A) Know how to avoid it
    And/Or
    B) Know how to detect it so I can handle the issue in code.

I think this might be an issue in some legacy code as I used to experience the same problem in the MediaElement of WPF so suspect some broken code was ported to WinRT.

Many Thanks
    Oli

Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Herro,
        The bitrate on that link is only about 3000 kbps.  I'm seeing the problems more at the 8000+ kbps range and normally on Videos 1+ hrs long. Unfortunately I can't find an easily available video file that I can distribute to you to test this. As a work around I'm now supplying the video directly to the MediaElement as a stream and handling the network side of things myself.

So far I've only tested for about 5 hours but haven't had a freeze yet. Fingers crossed it has solved my issues.
    Kind Regards
    Oli

Friday, December 12, 2014 2:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Oli,

Per my understanding, this should be the problem of remote video resources. I have tested the Channel 9 video with MediaElement control, it worked fine. Please try to use this video URL on your side. http://video.ch9.ms/ch9/8418/fcadb9b0-8725-4572-930c-dc802ea28418/Ping230_high.mp4. Try to replace with the above with your current code and let me know the result.

If that doesn’t work either, can you please provide some code and the video URL here for me to reproduce?

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, December 12, 2014 9:58 AM
  • Hi Herro,
        The bitrate on that link is only about 3000 kbps.  I'm seeing the problems more at the 8000+ kbps range and normally on Videos 1+ hrs long. Unfortunately I can't find an easily available video file that I can distribute to you to test this. As a work around I'm now supplying the video directly to the MediaElement as a stream and handling the network side of things myself.

So far I've only tested for about 5 hours but haven't had a freeze yet. Fingers crossed it has solved my issues.
    Kind Regards
    Oli

Friday, December 12, 2014 2:36 PM