none
.m2t file format is invalid? RRS feed

• Question

• My wife and I just had our firstborn, and I have a Canon HV20 to capture it all... the capture is raw footage in .m2t format.  When I import in Expression coder .m2t is listed as a valid media type, but when I import, the file types dropdown shows that m2t is a valid media format.  However, when I choose my file, and click Ok, Encoder then tells me its not a supported format (in the media content window)...  am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!
    • Edited by SeanWcom Tuesday, June 3, 2008 10:08 AM Clarified my question
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 10:06 AM

Answers

• FFDShow does not support the M2T container.  I believe Haali Media Splitter does, I use this for M2TS along side FFDShow/AC3Filter/PowerDVD to render output from M2TS files.
    Programmer Analyst - Emergis Inc.
    • Proposed as answer by Brandon Sproul Tuesday, June 3, 2008 2:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by SeanWcom Wednesday, June 4, 2008 11:30 AM
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 2:29 PM

All replies

• m2t is a sometimes supported format.  You need to install some third party software to make it work.  It is a bug that it show up all the time.  It should be showing up only if you have the supported software.

Brian

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Walker Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:40 PM
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:40 PM
  • I thought it might be a case of a missing codec or something... I installed ffdshow (and rebooted) hoping for the best, but still no joy.  Any idea what the supported software is that should be installed?

Thanks!
    -Sean
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 2:13 PM
  • FFDShow does not support the M2T container.  I believe Haali Media Splitter does, I use this for M2TS along side FFDShow/AC3Filter/PowerDVD to render output from M2TS files.
    • Proposed as answer by Brandon Sproul Tuesday, June 3, 2008 2:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by SeanWcom Wednesday, June 4, 2008 11:30 AM
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 2:29 PM
  • Oh great!  The Haali Media Splitter had what Encoder needed...

I'm connected remotely to my home from work, so I can't tell if everything is working right.  The status column for my m2t file now says: "Ready: Streams that aren't audio or video have been ignored."  I'm hoping that my audio is still there... if not, I'll have to track that down.  :)  Once I get home I'll know for sure though.

Thanks for the help guys!
    -Sean

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 6:15 PM
  • Not a problem, just make sure you can play back that M2T in Windows Media Player, otherwise you still need something to decode the now visible audio track.
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 6:17 PM
  • Thought you've solved the problem, I have posted a step by step guide here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/david_sayed/archive/2008/04/30/hdv-recipe-for-expression-encoder-2.aspx

Product Guy for Expression Encoder and Media
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 7:06 PM
  • Thanks guys, I've confirmed that the audio is working, so I'm all good now!

Oh, and David... I have your page bookmarked, but I didn't put 2 and 2 together to realize that HDVSplit was giving you the needed video codec for Encoder to work with the .m2t file...  :)  It all makes sense now though.

-Sean
    • Edited by SeanWcom Wednesday, June 4, 2008 11:33 AM Forgot part of my reply. :)
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 11:30 AM