Error on setting ip partners : servers not found RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have un problem with the mirroring, when I set  the IP of the partners, I get an error saying that the server will not exists or it's impossible to join it. I try to make a mirroring without witness between two servers.

request on first :
     ALTER DATABASE [panorama2]
    SET PARTNER = N'TCP://192.168.1.71:5050'

I get :

Msg1418, Niveau16, tat1, Ligne1
    L'adresse reseau du serveur "TCP://192.168.1.71:5050" est impossible à atteindre ou elle n'existe pas. Verifiez le nom de l'adresse reseau et executez la commande de nouveau.

And it's the same problem with the second server.

I work with the sql server evaluation (I put the parameter T 1400 for). Endpoints are created (I get them with a select on systcp_endpoints) :
    Mirroring    65541    1    2    TCP    4    DATABASE_MIRRORING    0    STARTED    0    5050    0    NULL

Thanks for helping.

ps : Excuse my english ^^

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:27 AM

Answers

• The problem might be Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN).........try specifying as shown below,

To start database mirroring, you next specify the partners and witness. You need database owner permissions to start and administer a given database mirroring session. On server A, the intended principal server, you tell SQL Server to give a particular database the principal role and what its partner (mirror) server is :

ALTER DATABASE [AdventureWorks] SET PARTNER =
    N'TCP://B.corp.mycompany.com:5022'

The partner name must be the fully qualified computer name of the partner. Finding fully qualified names can be a challenge, but the Configure Database Mirroring Security Wizard will find them automatically when establishing endpoints.
    The fully qualified computer name of each server can also be found running the following from the command prompt :

IPCONFIG /ALL
    Concatenate the "Host Name" and "Primary DNS Suffix". If you see something like:
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : A
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : corp.mycompany.com

Then the computer name is just A.corp.mycompany.com. Prefix 'TCP://' and append ':' and you then have the partner name.
    On the mirror server, you would just repeat the same command, but with the principal server named :

N'TCP://A.corp.mycompany.com:5022'

On the principal server, you next specify the witness server:

ALTER DATABASE [AdventureWorks] SET WITNESS =
    N'TCP://W.corp.mycompany.com:5026'

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 9:25 AM
  • I tried use master, and after alter database, but I get the same error. Why ?

EDIT : it's ok, the last problem is the mirroring ok from A to B, and ko from B to A
    Wednesday, September 26, 2007 10:07 AM

All replies

• The problem might be Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN).........try specifying as shown below,

To start database mirroring, you next specify the partners and witness. You need database owner permissions to start and administer a given database mirroring session. On server A, the intended principal server, you tell SQL Server to give a particular database the principal role and what its partner (mirror) server is :

N'TCP://B.corp.mycompany.com:5022'

The partner name must be the fully qualified computer name of the partner. Finding fully qualified names can be a challenge, but the Configure Database Mirroring Security Wizard will find them automatically when establishing endpoints.
    The fully qualified computer name of each server can also be found running the following from the command prompt :

IPCONFIG /ALL
    Concatenate the "Host Name" and "Primary DNS Suffix". If you see something like:
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : A
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : corp.mycompany.com

Then the computer name is just A.corp.mycompany.com. Prefix 'TCP://' and append ':' and you then have the partner name.
    On the mirror server, you would just repeat the same command, but with the principal server named :

N'TCP://A.corp.mycompany.com:5022'

On the principal server, you next specify the witness server:

ALTER DATABASE [AdventureWorks] SET WITNESS =
    N'TCP://W.corp.mycompany.com:5026'

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 9:25 AM
  • Thanks for you answer.

So we can't use IP to connect servers ? I thought the contrary...

I start to work with domain, I set same domain for each server, but I have another problem, the mirror server is OK (It takes the ALTER TABLE), but I can't set the PARTNER to master, I get the same error as before, and I don't understand why.

Thanks for help Wink
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 11:14 AM
  • Arnard can you pls explain it a little more ? is database mirroring configured  and workiong well ? do you mean to say that you can't set the "alter database set partner" for principal ?
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 11:57 AM
  • Yes, when i do the command :

ALTER DATABASE [panorama2]
    SET PARTNER = N'TCP://srv-bat2.technet:5050'

on "master" and "slave", slave accept the command (with srv-bat instead of srv-bat2), but master not, he says that srv-bat2 is not found or not exists.

And I don't understand why master does't find slave, in contrary of slave that find master.
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 12:20 PM
  • May be can you try giving someother end point listening port instead of 5050 you've mentioned above !
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:28 PM
  • Result of sys.tcp_endpoints on srv-bat2 :

Mirroring    65540    1    2    TCP    4    DATABASE_MIRRORING    0    STARTED    0    5050    0    NULL

So I have the good port :/
    netstat says port 5050 is open.

I don't understand why I can't make the mirroring -_-
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:54 PM
  • Arnard,
              I have configured mirroring in sql 2005 evaluation edition pls refer the link,
    http://sql-articles.com/articles/dbmrr.htm
    i don't know if it will solve your problem but just have a glance through it Smile

Thanxx
    Deepak
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 2:08 PM
  • Thanks for your link, but I already saw this website.

Howewer, when I used the GUI to create the mirror, on the master server the path selected by sql server is <host>.<domain>:<port>, but on the slave server, I have <host>:<port>. And when I tried to start mirroring, I get the same error saying that the second server is not found

I have switch between the two servers and I get the same result. Do I need to configure another thing anywhere ? the fact that the slave server's path is <host>:<port> instead of <host>.<domain>:<port> means that there is a bug on configuration, but I can't say what and where.

Thanks fr your help ^^
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 3:41 PM
  • Must I create a new login such this pattern : CREATE LOGIN <domain\\login> FROM WINDOWS   ??
    When You create your instance of SQL Server, what do you set for account to run service ? Local System ? Network System ? domain ? Is this element important or interessant in my problem ? thx
    Thursday, September 20, 2007 1:31 PM
  • Actually in the link i gave above i've created 3 instances of sql server in my local PC and all 3 run under local system account Smile but in real time environment you need to make use of a domain id (preferably) for the sql service account in all 3 principal,mirror and witness servers

Thanxx
    Deepak

Thursday, September 20, 2007 3:20 PM
  • I've tried with the elment domain, I set the login of my administrator account, the password and . for domain (. give the real domain), and I get the same problem, server not found. So the problem is not here

Somebody speaks me of sp_configure and surface area configuration, what do I search with this tools, an idea ?

Another question, how can I get the sql sever developer edition ?

Thursday, September 20, 2007 3:45 PM
  • refer the link for developer edition,
    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/developer/howtobuy.mspx

Thanxx
    Deepak

Friday, September 21, 2007 3:58 AM
  • Do I need to create login on each server for the connection, and give access to connect endpoint, or sa is ok ?
    Monday, September 24, 2007 7:45 AM
  • I believe you need to create same login in each server for the connection and configure endpoint ! !
    Monday, September 24, 2007 5:36 PM
  • So sa on each server is not ok ? Even if i create the endpoints with this account ?
    Tuesday, September 25, 2007 7:04 AM
  • Finally I've the mirroring. But some problems persist

When I write on database A, principal, and I switch with B, I can see the datas on B. But if I write on B and switch to A, A doesn't have data from B. I don't understant why

And an another thing. When I try tu do a manual failover : ALTER DATABASE mabdd SET PARTNER FAILOVER
    I get an error :

Msg5001, Niveau16, tat1, Ligne1
    User must be in database master.

I use sa, that is administrator -_-'

Thanks for your answers Smile

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 3:40 PM
  • Arnard,
              You can make changes in the principal db and its getting reflected in mirror db thats obvious ! ! ! but it will not happen vice versa without failover.......you need to perform failover to mirror db and then perform changes there and see if its getting reflected ! you can try the below steps,
    1. Create some table and insert values into it in the principal server and you can see it will be reflected in mirror server
    2. Stop the sql services in principal server and if you have witness configured ( High availability mode) then it will automatically failover to mirror server !
    3. Now your original mirror server is principal server and you can try the steps 1 and 2 and check if the datas are mirrored !

Regarding failover using Alter database command you can try by using the context of master and then execute it !
    use master
    go
    Alter database mabdd set partner failover or you can even use the GUI !

Thanxx
    Deepak
    Tuesday, September 25, 2007 5:01 PM
  • I tried use master, and after alter database, but I get the same error. Why ?

EDIT : it's ok, the last problem is the mirroring ok from A to B, and ko from B to A
    Wednesday, September 26, 2007 10:07 AM