Ie 10 missing letters

Question

• i'm using windows developer preview in both my desktop and net book, the IE 10 i'm using will missing some letters while typing, for example, i pressed "e x a m p l e" on the keyboard, it will some missing letters, eg. "eample" some letter needs to type twice, this always happens while you typing fast, i'm sure thats not my keyboard problem

Saturday, November 19, 2011 3:34 PM

All replies

• Looi Zhi Hao,

Is this happening while running the desktop version of Internet Explorer 10 or the Metro version?

Is this happening on both devices?

Thanks,

Chris
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 4:06 PM
  • i'm using windows developer preview in both my desktop and net book, the IE 10 i'm using will missing some letters while typing, for example, i pressed "e x a m p l e" on the keyboard, it will some missing letters, eg. "eample" some letter needs to type twice, this always happens while you typing fast, i'm sure thats not my keyboard problem

Really lost characters or just user confusion due to typeahead and slow response?  In W7 one suspected cause of the first symptom was incompatible FingerPrintReader software.   When it happens to me I am never sure if I completely pressed the key.  You would almost need to have mskey.exe running all the time to refer to and even then I'm not sure what that would prove, unless you could show the monitor capturing the keys you thought you had hit but the app showing some missing.

IE10 could mean IE in Desktop mode or IE in Metro mode.   Which one and which one seems worse?

Also, what about other W8 apps where you have to do typing?  Do you see the symptom there?  FWIW I think that the Feedback app may be one which has given me more problems in this regard but I haven't been keeping rigorous track of them.   I use the Notespace app quite a bit and just tried it for a test but don't think that one is as slow as those others.  

In the case of IE in these forums I think that is probably due to it needing to buffer everything before echoing it in case the keyboard is sending something that needs to be interpreted, such as Ctrl-b for Bold, Ctrl-i for Italics, etc.   I suspect that filtering is probably implemented in JavaScript which would make it additionally slower due to the code being interpreted all the time.   In any case when it gets too bad what I often do is turn on the HTML source editor and do my typing in there.   ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, November 19, 2011 10:08 PM
  • You could go to the Keyboard properties in Control Panel and click on the speed tab. Increase the key repeat to faster and see if it helps. This may to help increase the sensitivity of the keyboard when pressing the letters.

Please reply back with an update.

Marilyn
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Not slow response, only ie 10 does, the desktop version, metro version i didn't test much

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:49 AM
  • Not slow response, only ie 10 does, the desktop version 

Then do some clean boot troubleshooting.   That looks like the problem that others were having with W7.

---

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:16 PM