none
VS 2012 the "Build >> OfficeAddInSetup" menu is not there, to deploy Office Add-in as a single .exe file or .msi file. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm referring to this MSDN document and there's no such menu item "OfficeAddinSetup", as mentioned in this document.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/office/VSTO-Deploy-an-Office-fbcc09ad

Have tried the VSTO Click Once deployment. It produces a very ugly interface, which cannot be customized and the interface itself disappears and appears repeatedly, which doesn't provides a bad UX.

Please suggest me a standard method for deploying Office Add-Ins.

I'll be really great-full, for your time and efforts you're putting in helping me out.

Thanks.

Monday, January 28, 2013 7:46 AM

Answers

• check with setup project where and what it actually installs - you have full sources for app, you should be able to manage this yourself.
    Monday, January 28, 2013 11:53 AM

All replies

• Got this upgrade log report, when I opened the sample excel solution, supplied at the msdn document I had pointed. Note that loading the OfficeAddInSetup failed.
    http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/office/VSTO-Deploy-an-Office-fbcc09ad

Migration Report -
    Overview
        Project    Path    Errors    Warnings    Messages
    Error    OfficeAddInSetup    OfficeAddInSetup\OfficeAddInSetup.isproj    1    0    0
    Success    ExcelAddIn    ExcelAddIn\ExcelAddIn.csproj    0    0    0
    Success    Solution    ExcelAddIn.sln    0    0    1
    Solution and projects
    OfficeAddInSetup
    Error    OfficeAddInSetup\OfficeAddInSetup.isproj: The application which this project type is based on was not found. Please try this link for further information: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?prd=12395&pver=11&sbp=ProjectTypeDeprecated&plcid=0x409&clcid=0x409&ar=MSDN&sar=ProjectCompatibility&o1=6141683F-8A12-4E36-9623-2EB02B2C2303
    ExcelAddIn

Monday, January 28, 2013 7:54 AM
  • apparently it uses installshield LE as a setup project - you have to install installshield extension for vs 2012 yourself.
    Monday, January 28, 2013 8:54 AM
  • Thanks DamianD. Can you please also provide me information on how I can install the "InstallShield Extension"? Please point me to suitable documents or guide me where to look.
    Monday, January 28, 2013 8:59 AM
  • expand your VS 2012 new project window and find - setup and deployment - there you will have an option to install IS LE
    Monday, January 28, 2013 9:43 AM
  • Now, the InstallShield Extension (limited edition) is installed. Building the installer was successful and running the "Setup.exe" and everything went perfectly fine and it displayed a message saying "Successfully installed".

But, I don't see any entry for my software in the Control Panel. Neither is it added to Outlook. The Add-in is not in the list of Outlook Add-ins. Can you please help me out.

Thanks.

Monday, January 28, 2013 11:41 AM
  • check with setup project where and what it actually installs - you have full sources for app, you should be able to manage this yourself.
    Monday, January 28, 2013 11:53 AM