none
publisher name in UAC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm developing the outlook plugin using vs.net2008, vsto - well for testing purpose, the temporary certificate which generated by vs.net2008 was working fine, even i have been  installing the software on other systems having ol2010 , ol2008, some are 32 bit, some 64bit system.

Well now my client wants to release its beta version, for it - he wants to have specific publisher name, well the publisher name is showing fine at installed programs list at control panel, but at UAC(User Access Control), where it asks 'Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer.' so it shows the file location of .msi file, and in Publisher 'Unknown Publisher' is written.

Similarly, after installing the program/software of addin, when outlook starts, the window for installing office customization opened, it again shows 'Publisher can not be verified'.

I did research in past and also some now, got very confused. Can anybody tell me that for avoiding unknown publihser (even for test versions/beta version) should my client buy the real certificates, then we will not get such popups of unknown publisher. In the past, I tried with some test certificate from internet, but they didn't work.

Please let me know asap, I'm not much good in the area of signing codes, so please suggest the best way.

Thanks

--Mehnaz

Mehnaz Anwar
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:09 AM

Answers