none
VS2012 Hangs

Question

• I have created an asp.net mvc4  project using VS2012. Everything was fine for many months but recently I have had problems)

Now, when I start VS, load my project and I click on launch the browser, the browser loads and displays my web page.

If I close the browser, then VS locks up and is non-responsive (I get the bulls eye cursor) for approx. 5 minutes.

After 5 minutes it becomes responsive again. If I launch the browser again, then it loads and I can close it and I have no problems at all.

If I close and re-open VS,  then I again have the same problem the first time I launch the browser.

Any idea what the problem is. I have tried searching online and have not found any solution.

Friday, March 18, 2016 2:06 PM

Answers

• Hi GLCG,

According to your description, your Visual Studio works fine before. Please try clear some Visual Studio caches under following path to check whether it can fix this issue.

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebsiteCache
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\ComponentModelCache
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\ManifestCache

Then please try reset Visual Studio settings from Tools -> Import and Export settings -> reset all settings.

In addition, please try create a new project to make sure whether this issue related to the specific project or not. If new project works fine, please remove the original project's .suo file under the solution folder. And you also can remove the original project files one by one to make sure which file causes this issue.

And do you have install any packages and extensions for your Visual Studio? If yes, please remove these packages and extension one by one to check whether the problem is related to these third part packages.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, March 21, 2016 8:55 AM

All replies

• Hi GLCG,

According to your description, your Visual Studio works fine before. Please try clear some Visual Studio caches under following path to check whether it can fix this issue.

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebsiteCache
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\ComponentModelCache
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\ManifestCache

Then please try reset Visual Studio settings from Tools -> Import and Export settings -> reset all settings.

In addition, please try create a new project to make sure whether this issue related to the specific project or not. If new project works fine, please remove the original project's .suo file under the solution folder. And you also can remove the original project files one by one to make sure which file causes this issue.

And do you have install any packages and extensions for your Visual Studio? If yes, please remove these packages and extension one by one to check whether the problem is related to these third part packages.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, March 21, 2016 8:55 AM
  • I couldn't find any of the caches you suggested.

I did the Reset as you suggested and this seemed to solve the problem.

Thank You!

Friday, March 25, 2016 2:09 AM