Problem installing on new client RRS feed

• Question

• I get the following message when trying to install on some computers:

"Unable to install or run the application. The application requires that assembly Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.Vs Version 10.0.0.0 be install in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) first."

Previous releases of the same application installed without any problems. Any idea?

Thank you.

Monday, January 31, 2011 2:41 PM

Answers

"Unable to install or run the application. The application requires that assembly Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.Vs Version 10.0.0.0 be install in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) first."

Previous releases of the same application installed without any problems. Any idea?

Thank you.

You "may" not need to install the whole Powerpack package on client's computer.

Just Set "Copy Local" property to True of "Microsoft.Visual.PowerPacks" reference by clicking "Show All Files" in solution explorer. Thus required Powerpacks library will stand with your exe in your "bin" directory and will be deployment-ready.

Note: Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll may also need to be copied local bin folder by setting its Copy Local property to true.

HTH.

Best regards, Saygılarımla, Onur Güzel

Yazgeliştir Forumları'ndayım.

Microsoft Haber Grupları Profilim (VB.NET)

• Marked as answer by solfinker Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:38 PM
    Monday, January 31, 2011 4:56 PM
  • Is the Microsoft Visual Basic PowerPacks installed with your application setup? If not, then you will need to deploy it.

Deploying Applications That Reference Power Packs Controls (Visual Studio)

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    • Marked as answer by solfinker Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:39 PM
    Monday, January 31, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Hi solfinker,

as Onur Güzel said

you can copy the required libraries for your program by making the visual studio copies it to the application's bin directory by :

1-go to My Project

2-go to references tab

3-select the required libraries and from the properties window change the value of "Copy Local" to "true"

4-add these libraries to your installation project.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this post helps you

Mohamed's Elghamry Website

Monday, January 31, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Take a look in the References of your project to see if you are using any of the PowerPaks controls. Even if you are not creating an instance of the control in your app you've still created a dependency by adding the reference to your project.
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 1:16 PM

All replies

• Is the Microsoft Visual Basic PowerPacks installed with your application setup? If not, then you will need to deploy it.

Deploying Applications That Reference Power Packs Controls (Visual Studio)

• Marked as answer by solfinker Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:39 PM
    Monday, January 31, 2011 4:03 PM

Thank you.

You "may" not need to install the whole Powerpack package on client's computer.

Just Set "Copy Local" property to True of "Microsoft.Visual.PowerPacks" reference by clicking "Show All Files" in solution explorer. Thus required Powerpacks library will stand with your exe in your "bin" directory and will be deployment-ready.

Note: Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll may also need to be copied local bin folder by setting its Copy Local property to true.

HTH.

Best regards, Saygılarımla, Onur Güzel

Yazgeliştir Forumları'ndayım.

Microsoft Haber Grupları Profilim (VB.NET)

Monday, January 31, 2011 4:56 PM
  • Hi solfinker,

as Onur Güzel said

you can copy the required libraries for your program by making the visual studio copies it to the application's bin directory by :

1-go to My Project

2-go to references tab

3-select the required libraries and from the properties window change the value of "Copy Local" to "true"

4-add these libraries to your installation project.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this post helps you

Mohamed's Elghamry Website

Monday, January 31, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Thank you very much for your answers.

I have changed the "Copy Local" property to True of "Microsoft.Visual.PowerPacks" and now it works.

But, what about uninstalling the PowerPacks since I'm not using them at all (as far as I know)? Does this - uninstalling - make any sense?

Thank you.

• Marked as answer by solfinker Tuesday, February 1, 2011 11:29 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by solfinker Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:38 PM
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 8:47 AM
  • Take a look in the References of your project to see if you are using any of the PowerPaks controls. Even if you are not creating an instance of the control in your app you've still created a dependency by adding the reference to your project.
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 1:16 PM