Is it necessary to create a transformation file before deploying? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1757935082 posted

Hi, I’ve deployed my site but wondering if I should’ve made some changes to the web config file besides changing the connection string.  After reviewing this page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd394698(v=vs.100).aspx I felt like I needed to make a transformation file that make changes to the connection string and specify that the connection string that is named ApplicationServices should be automatically converted to point to a production database when the Web application is deployed.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <configuration xmlns:xdt="http://schemas.microsoft.com/XML-Document-Transform">
      <connectionStrings>
        <add name="ApplicationServices" 
            connectionString="[ProductionDatabase]" 
            xdt:Transform="Replace" xdt:Locator="Match(name)"/>
      </connectionStrings>
    </configuration> 

Well let’s say I didn’t make that transformation file.  Can I then go into my web.config and make the necessary changes after I deploy the site?

Since my connection sting is configured correctly, is there somewhere that I can manually point my connection string “ApplicationServices” to point to the production database after deployment instead of before deployment?

My connection string is formated correctly but tech support from the web site says that some configuration is making it point to my local database instead of the remote database.  Please help with any ideas.  Thanks.

Monday, September 2, 2013 4:52 PM

Answers

• User-37275327 posted

Transformation is added feature on delpoyment, though not a must. you can go and manually do the changes.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 2:21 AM

All replies

• User-37275327 posted

Transformation is added feature on delpoyment, though not a must. you can go and manually do the changes.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 2:21 AM
  • User-1757935082 posted

Thanks!!

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 7:35 PM