Switching off the On-premise AD RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a feasibility study to switch over to Azure AD in the company I am working with :

- number of users about 500 

- All user accounts are synced with Azure AD

-All mailboxes are migrated to Exchange Online.

-We have web-based and local applications 

I know that Azure AD is not designed to replace the on-prem  But can someone please direct me to a path that can give me more details about the possibility to use Azure AD instead of on-prem? 

Thank you!

• Edited by Aysani Wednesday, November 14, 2018 6:47 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 5:48 PM

All replies

• Use if for what exactly? As you mentioned, Azure AD is NOT a replacement of traditional AD. It doesn't have OUs, GPOs, etc. So if you have any application or functionality overall that depends on such "traditional" featured, Azure AD will not help you. You can look into Azure AD Domain Services instead.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 6:28 PM
  • Hi,

I also don't have a complete document that covers all, but take a look at the following things:

Join your devices to Azure AD and manage them by Intune (instead of GPO and software deployments)

Migrate your Web-Apps to Azure AD (if possible)

Consider Conditional Access to secure access to those applications

Migrate your "local" Apps maybe to Azure IaaS and consider the things Vasil already states.

There will still be some additional things to cover, like Printing.

/Peter

Peter Stapf - ExpertCircle GmbH - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

Thursday, November 15, 2018 7:43 AM
  • Thanks so much for your reply, is there any reason that`s recommended to keep Exchange on-prem active as well?

If I enable the password right back feature from Azure Ad to on-premise can I create users on cloud first then those will be synced toon prem AD?

I am so sorry if my questions seem odd

Thanks
    • Edited by Aysani Thursday, November 15, 2018 4:40 PM
    Thursday, November 15, 2018 4:39 PM