Notification Services RRS feed

• Question

• If this is not the correct forum to ask about Notification Services, my apologies and can someone please suggest the correct one.

I need a tool that will monitor an FTP site at the beginning of each month looking for a set of files.  When the files appear, it will run a program to pick up the files and do some stuff.

I have tried working through Notification Services tutorials, I just can't seem to get a handle on it

Can Notification services do this, if not, any suggestions (other than writing code or paying money for a tool)

Thanks in advance and happy holidays

Walter_Of_Maggie

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Walter_Of_Maggie -

Notification Services is a powerful framework for developing and hosting notification applications. It can certainly be extended to recognize the present of a new file on an FTP server. And it can notify you of it's presence.

However, notification services isn't really designed to then take some other action (other than notifying you). SSNS can be shoehorned to accomodate this by writing customer delivery protocols, etc.  But I would think that that would a stretch and that other tools are better suited for your endeavor.

Consider using a simple VBScript or a PowerShell script to accomplish your ends.

HTH...

Joe

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 12:55 PM

All replies

• Moved to the Notification Services forum from the SSIS forum.
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:25 PM
  • Hi Walter_Of_Maggie -

Notification Services is a powerful framework for developing and hosting notification applications. It can certainly be extended to recognize the present of a new file on an FTP server. And it can notify you of it's presence.

However, notification services isn't really designed to then take some other action (other than notifying you). SSNS can be shoehorned to accomodate this by writing customer delivery protocols, etc.  But I would think that that would a stretch and that other tools are better suited for your endeavor.

Consider using a simple VBScript or a PowerShell script to accomplish your ends.

HTH...

Joe

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 12:55 PM