Excluding web site files from source control

General discussion

• I realize I'm probably not the first person to request it, but is there any way at all to exclude files and/or folders from Team System Source Control, other than turning them into .exclude files?  I know about web app projects but we have some issues with them so I'd like to use the web site method.  So please don't tell me to use a web application project...just let me know if anyone has come up with a way to exclude web site files from source control.  Thanks so much!

Steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:59 PM

All replies

• Hello Steve,

Could you please tell more about why you want to exclude the web site files?

Does a FileSystem Web Site work for you?

Or a WebDeployment project works?

Thanks.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:29 AM
  • A file system web site is what I'm talking about.  It is used to test an ASP.NET control we develop.  We all have different builds of the control, and therefore I don't want the bin folder's contents to be checked in.  Also, certain other files are specific to individual testers, but as of right now I cannot figure out how to exclude those files from source control.  For example, the appSettings in web.config points to another xml which lets us keep a single web config but makes it possible to tailor our own settings.  But those files get added to source control, and we have a checkin-out nightmare that should not exist in the first place.

Make sense?

The alternative is to use web projects, but then we have to keep separate project files for VS 2005 and VS 2008, which we don't want to do because that means every time we add a file to 2008, we gotta open the other in 2005 and add existing item there.  So the file system based web site is ideal, but only if we cannot exclude files from source control.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:39 PM
  • Hello Steve,

I have searched for you.

The alternative is to use web projects, but then we have to keep separate project files for VS 2005 and VS 2008, which we don't want to do because that means every time we add a file to 2008, we gotta open the other in 2005 and add existing item there. 

I agree that keep separate projects and sync them is not an easy work.

You can also paste your problem at http://forums.asp.net/

Hope there are more experts who has good idea on it. 

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:03 AM
  • That's what I was afraid of.  I would suggest to the Team System crew that you figure out a way to exlude files and/or folders from source control in a file system web site.  I have seen multiple complaints about this, and it screwed us up pretty good.  People would love it.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 11:03 AM
  • Delete files that you want to exclude, add them to were they were again, but do not checkin yet. Then on source control undo pending changes. After that these files would not be source controled items.
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:48 PM