none
Licensing and Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a project where I have developed a full suite of extensions for 3D CAD software.  This collection of programs relies on a directory structure that contains all of the settings and environment files that the CAD software and my application require to function.  This environment need to be installed on the customers server to be accessible to all users and to be the one source for executing the extensions and settings for the 3D CAD software.  How do I package, license, and distribute this to customers?  This is a one person development situation so the experience and resources for getting this information is limited.  Any suggestions of guidance is appreciated.

Thanks!

Sunday, May 12, 2019 5:28 PM

All replies

• I would check with the makers of the cad software to see what the licensing restrictions are.  Maybe they have a way to package extensions
    • Edited by Ken Tucker Sunday, May 12, 2019 7:44 PM
    Sunday, May 12, 2019 7:43 PM
  • Hi leet_dcg,

Thank you for posting here.

>>How do I package, license, and distribute this to customers?

You could try to use ClickOnce or Windows Installer.

If you need further help for deployment, you could get help form the forum below.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winformssetup&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 13, 2019 2:43 AM
  • Yes, once I am ready to distribute, there will be an agreement with the CAD software provider.  To be more accurate regarding the licensing issue, I was looking for information on how I can create my own licensing system and include that in my distribution.  This licensing system would have to identify and restrict the number of unique users since the programs are a shared resource for all users to access on the customers network drive.
    Monday, May 13, 2019 12:23 PM