none
EDI Test Data and BizTalk Setup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have a couple of questions about EDI and BizTalk.

1- What tools or techniques can be used to generate EDI messages for testing BizTalk solution? I am in a supply chain management environment where I have to simulate an EDI message coming from a Partner and being processed by BizTalk.

2- How would you generally receive EDI messages from partners? Are these through File Adapter or some other adapter, is there a preferred way?

3- Also Is there a preferred way to receive asynchronous acknowledgement of your EDI transactions from partners?

Thanks.....

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

Please see ny response below about your above queries:

1.  For Question 1- There is an Blog post about testing your EDI solutions here, Please see, It might give you some options.
    2. For Question 3- You can do that by configuring a port to receive ACK , Please see Configuring a Port to Receive EDI Messages and Acknowledgments article for more details

HTH,Naushad (MCC/MCTS) http://alamnaushad.wordpress.com,My New Technet Wiki Article “BizTalk Server: Performance Tuning & Optimization"

If this is helpful or answers your question - please mark accordingly! Please "Vote As Helpful" if this was useful while resolving your question!

• Marked as answer by Coder009 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:34 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:29 PM
  • 1) First step is to define the rules for your interchange by modifying the EDI Xml schema you're using to match your requirements.

Then, generate an instance of that schema and send it out through a File send port with your EDI Assembler pipeline. Then you'll have a "Good" test file.

Then make copies and modify the "Good" test file into different scenarios. What if they don't send a control id? What if they omit the facility name? etc.

2) I receive messages via SOAP, HTTP, FTP, and Email on the perimeter, but after that they all go through a common system which drops each individual EDI message in a directory on the file system for pickup by a receive location with an EDI disassembler pipeline with the filename as the primary key of the attempt, which gets carried as a message property that I can use to correlate to the original request. This allows me to allow synchronous interaction where I can provide a callback to the client about the final status of the message, and asynchronous interaction where I quickly provide the caller with a simple acknowledgement of receipt.

3) I built a web service and API for our clients to call to check the status of any prior sent interchange. We used that API later to build a web site for clients to use who didn't want to implement the API on their own. It has been very popular and effective at its purpose. I allow users to query either by the control IDs they sent or by a date range.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:30 PM
  • I generally use another BizTalk server as my testing partner system.  The SDK has some good sample files you can use.

-Dan

If this answers your question, please Mark as Answer

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:51 PM