none
Visual Studio License

Question

• Hi,

I am a software developer. I am working at a company based in India. I am working on a project which is developed in ASP. Now my client wants to upgrade the application to the latest technology. So I am going to develop the application using .NET framework 4.6. So my question is am I need to buy license for Visual studio 2015? Or I can use the community edition which is free to use. Is it allowable to use it for building any professional applications?

Tuesday, July 05, 2016 11:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can use the community edition of Visual Studio for any purposes, open source, training,  demonstration, commercial as long as you meet some conditions

Below are the usage terms 

INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
    1. Individual license. If you are an individual working on your own applications to sell or for any other purpose, you may use the software to develop and test those applications.
    2. Organization licenses. If you are an organization, your users may use the software as follows:
      • Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test your applications released under Open Source Initiative (OSI) approved open source software licenses.
      • Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test Xamarin Studio or Visual Studio extensions and Xamarin Component Store or Visual Studio Marketplace components.
      • Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test your applications as part of online or in person classroom training and education, or for performing academic research.
      • If none of the above apply, and you are also not an enterprise (defined below), then up to 5 of your individual users can use the software concurrently to develop and test your applications.
      • If you are an enterprise, your employees and contractors may not use the software to develop or test your applications, except for open source and education purposes as permitted above. An "enterprise" is any organization and its affiliates who collectively have either (a) more than 250 computers or users or (b) more than one million US dollars (or the equivalent in other currencies) in annual revenues, and "affiliates" means those entities that control (via majority ownership), are controlled by, or are under common control with an organization.
    3. Demo use. The uses permitted above include use of the software in demonstrating your applications.

https://www.visualstudio.com/support/legal/mt171547

If you find yourself meeting any of the above, you are free to use the community edition otherwise you may need to purchase a license.

You have also another option to use VS Web Express editions freely to develop your application but the version will not have the same capabilites of Community edition and other editions.

Please let me know if this helps and answer your question. 

Thanks, Mahmoud

Tuesday, July 05, 2016 11:36 AM