Error loading set-up components at start of VSTS 2008 Uninstall RRS feed

• Question

• I had installed VSTS 2008 Team Suite on my Vista machine a few months ago and near the end of set-up an error message displayed informing me that "Microsoft.Visual Studio.XAML package failed to load properly". I used the "devenv/resetskippkgs' command several times in an attempt to solve the problem but in the end I simply chose to not be informed of the failure and gave up on WPF.

I am now attempting to uninstall the same verion of VSTS 2008 and no matter what approach I take I get the error message informing me  "A problem has been encountered while loading set-up components" at the start of the set-up wizard. Likewise, I am not able to uninstall the software. I have tried the autouninstall as well as restoring the system after that failed and following the manual uninstall procedure from the MSDN library. The manual uninstall did work on the previous version of VS 2008 Pro I had uninstalled.

I have researched a number of posts on this forum as well as blogs but without any success. Is there someone out there who has a clue as to how to uninstall this wonderful software? I would be most appreciative to anyone who can help with the possible exception of a canned answer from a microsoft MVP -  I'm usually not that direct but am frustrated with the same feedback that hasn't helped being repeated ad-nauseum. Microsoft should indeed be able to provide an effective solution to such a rediculous problem and give all the developers a break from the recurring migraines caused by such ineptitude!

Thank you for letting me vent.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:38 AM

Answers

• Hi 6strings,

Thank you for your post.

To remove Visual Studio 2008, you might try the following points to start from scratch:

- Run AutoUninstall Tool: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/content/content.aspx?ContentID=7276
    It uninstalls ALL components installed with Visual Studio 2008 products, including Visual Studio Express Editions, Visual Studio Team System, Visual Studio Professional. This tool won't uninstall shared components between Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2005.

- Use Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to clear it.
      With the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, you can remove a program's Windows Installer configuration information. You may want to remove the Windows Installer configuration information for your program if you experience installation (Setup) problems.
    For more information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

- manually removing VS related components according to the following order:

Open Add or Remove Programs (Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008).

1.   Remove "Microsoft SQL Publishing Wizard".
    2.   Remove "Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008".
    3.   Remove "Crystal Reports Basic 64-bit Runtime for Visual Studio 2008 (x64)". This step is required only if Visual Studio is installed on a 64-bit computer.
    4.   Remove "Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 SDK Reference Assemblies and IntelliSense".
    5.   Remove "Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 .NET Framework Tools".
    6.   Remove "Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 Win32 Tools".
    7.   Remove "Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 Headers and Libraries".
    8.   Remove "Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 Tools".
    9.   Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Remote Debugger". This step is required only if Visual Studio is installed on a 64-bit computer.
    10. Remove "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition".
    11. Remove "Microsoft SQL Server Native Client".
    12. Remove "Microsoft Device Emulator version 3.0".
    13. Remove "Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK R2 for Smartphone".
    14. Remove "Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK R2 for Pocket PC".
    15. Remove "Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 For Devices".
    16. Remove "Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 Design Tools".
    17. Remove "Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5".
    18. Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for the 2007 Microsoft Office System Runtime".
    19. Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office system (version 3.0 Runtime)".
    20. Remove "Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5".
    21. Remove "Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2".
    22. Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio".
    23. Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component".
    24. Remove "Microsoft Document Explorer 2008".
    25. Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 64bit Prerequisites". This step is required only if Visual Studio is installed on a 64-bit computer.

Then install Visual Studio 2008 again.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, June 1, 2010 4:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:19 AM