TF30040: The database is not correctly configured - After applying SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using TFS Workgroup Edition, this box was built from the ground up with a virgin Win2k3 Standard installation when TFS went RTM, so it has never had any beta bits on it.
    Updated: SQL Server 2005 SP1 has been applied to this box.

I installed the VS80-KB919156-X86.exe (Visual Studio Team Foundation Server Quiescence GDR) and then rebooted. I then installed TFS SP1 without errors. I rebooted again.

I was able to get the latest source but when I go to add a new project or solution, I get the error: "Error TF30040: The database is not correctly configured." dialog.

Using SQL 2k5 Profiler, I set a trace to see what was going on behind the scenes. I noticed this command towards the point where I get the error dialog:

exec prc_UpdateLocalVersion @identityId=5,@workspaceName=N'TBROOKS',@.....
    ....clipped for brevity....

I noticed some of the stored procs in the TfsVersionControl database have counterparts named prc_ixxxxx I'm wondering if maybe the schema didn't update completely and I'm missing some stored procs?

Is it possible to uninstall SP1, reverting the DB schema back to the way it was prior?

If not, what can I do at this point to save my TFS SC?

Updated Event Log (Application) Information:

Source: TFS Version Control
    EventID: 3007
    Description:
    TF53010: An unexpected condition has occurred in a Team Foundation component.
    Detailed Message: TF14105: An exception occurred in the Team Foundation Source Control System.
    Web Request Details
        Url: http://MYTEAMSRV:8080/VersionControl/v1.0/repository.asmx [method: POST]
        User Agent: Team Foundation (devenv.exe, 8.0.50727.762)
        Headers: Content-Length=530&Content-Type=application%2fsoap%2bxml%3b+charset%3dutf-8&Accept-Encoding=gzip&Accept-Language=en-US
     &Expect=100-continue&Host=MYTEAMSRV%3a8080&User-Agent=Team+Foundation+(devenv.exe%2c+8.0.50727.762)&X-TFS-Version=1.0.0.0
     &X-VersionControl-Instance=7e85e496-58a0-4d71-87be-fb399ead8a3b
        Path: /VersionControl/v1.0/repository.asmx
        Local Request: False
        Host Address: 192.168.2.54
        User: MYDOMAIN\MYUSER [authentication type: NTLM]
    Exception Message: TF30040: The database is not correctly configured.

Wednesday, January 3, 2007 6:34 PM

Answers

• If you have the ability to do so I would recommend the following:

1) Uninstall TFS SP1

2) Verify everythnig works as expected - if not you should use the repair operation from Add/Remove Programs

3) Re-install SP1 from the command-line with the following arguments: /l*v SP1Install.log

4) Send me the log

Friday, January 5, 2007 2:59 PM

All replies

• Do you have a single or dual server configuration?  If it is dual-server you must apply SP1 to both machines.

The answer to your question, YES, uninstalling SP1 will revert the schema back to RTM.  I would like to understand the problems you are seeing.  Can you take a look in your %temp% folder for an installer log file and send  it to me?  It will look something like VSxxxx.txt.

Ed

Thursday, January 4, 2007 10:27 PM
  • Single-server configuration.  I have not attempted uninstalling SP1.  Reverting the db schema back to RTM is nice to know; I'm just not sure if I should attempt this quite yet.  But I guess it can't hurt.  I would rather get this instance working, but I can't afford to be down for days and days.

I searched the entire machine for a VS*.txt file and found nothing (hidden/system folders and files included).  I found some large vsmsi*.txt files (16-18MB), but these were last modified months ago.  Where specifically are these files located?
    Friday, January 5, 2007 1:16 AM
  • If you have the ability to do so I would recommend the following:

1) Uninstall TFS SP1

2) Verify everythnig works as expected - if not you should use the repair operation from Add/Remove Programs

3) Re-install SP1 from the command-line with the following arguments: /l*v SP1Install.log

4) Send me the log

Friday, January 5, 2007 2:59 PM
  • Will do this this afternoon and send you the log tonight sometime.  Thanks for your assistance.
    Friday, January 5, 2007 4:16 PM
  • Just to follow up on this issue.  Uninstallation of SP1 seemed to be successful, but in the meantime we brought up a new TFS and migrated the source and are working on moving the work items.  The reason we brought up the new TFS server was we were still having issues with the existing TFS server after uninstalling SP1.'

Thanks for all your assistance.
    Tuesday, January 9, 2007 2:31 AM
  • Todd, please feel free to ping me if you continue to have problems.  We want to make sure you get up and running ASAP.

Ed

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 3:32 AM
  • Was there any resolution on this? I have the same problem.  I have an install failure log to show anyone. 

thanks in advance.

Dave

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 4:26 PM
  • Dave,

You can send the logs to edpsyk@homail.com and I will look at them.

Ed

Monday, March 19, 2007 2:38 PM
  • I was able to recover by cleaning up and removing the VS80-KB919156-X86.exe that is required to install before you attempt SP1.  Apparently you can not run with a system that is not SP1 when you have that installed.

As to the logs, the error ends up being...

Executing workflow 'Unquiesce ATDT'...
    Starting SQL Service 'MSSQLSERVER'...
    Setting SQL Server database 'TFSActivityLogging' into multi user mode...
    Setting SQL Server database 'TFSBuild' into multi user mode...
    Setting SQL Server database 'TFSIntegration' into multi user mode...
    Setting SQL Server database 'TFSVersionControl' into multi user mode...
    Setting SQL Server database 'TFSWorkItemTracking' into multi user mode...
    Setting SQL Server database 'TFSWorkItemTrackingAttachments' into multi user mode...
    Starting SQL Service 'SQLSERVERAGENT'...
    Starting SQL Service 'MSFTESQL'...
    Removing IP restriction for Website 'W3SVC'...
    Starting Windows Service 'W3SVC'...
    Starting Windows Service 'TFSServerScheduler'...
    Cannot start service TFSServerScheduler on computer '.'.
    Retrying...
    Retrying...
    Retrying...
    Retrying...
    Retrying...

Workflow 'Unquiesce ATDT' failed! ExitCode = 8000.
    03/13/07 22:49:08 DDSet_Status: Process returned 8000
    03/13/07 22:49:08 DDSet_Status: Found the matching error code  for return value '8000' and it is: '29214'
    03/13/07 22:49:08 DDSet_Error:  8000
    03/13/07 22:49:08 DDSet_CARetVal: 29214
    03/13/07 22:49:08 DDSet_Status: QuietExec returned 29214
    03/13/07 22:49:08 DDSet_Exit: QuietExec ended
    Action ended 22:49:08: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
    MSI (s) (54:34) [22:49:08:554]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    MSI (s) (54:34) [22:49:08:554]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    MSI (s) (54:34) [22:49:08:569]: Executing op: Header(Signature=1397708873,Version=301,Timestamp=913159570,LangId=1033,Platform=0,ScriptType=2,ScriptMajorVersion=21,ScriptMinorVersion=4,ScriptAttributes=1)
    MSI (s) (54:34) [22:49:08:569]: Executing op: DialogInfo(Type=0,Argument=1033)
    MSI (s) (54:34) [22:49:08:569]: Executing op: DialogInfo(Type=1,Argument=Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Foundation Server - ENU)

Microsoft support says that this is due to the user that TFSServerScheduler runs under had it's password changed or it is disabled since it was installed.

This doesn't make too much sense, but that user account did have it's password expire sometime in January, but it has since been renewed and I can start that service manually without any problems.

At this point we're not going to attempt SP1 again for a few weeks. 

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

Thanks Ed!

Monday, March 19, 2007 9:37 PM
  • Hi, having the same problem when trying to install sp1;

Executing workflow 'Unquiesce ATDT'...
    Starting SQL Service 'MSSQLSERVER'...
    Setting SQL Server database 'TFSActivityLogging' into multi user mode...
    Setting SQL Server database 'TFSBuild' into multi user mode...
    Setting SQL Server database 'TFSIntegration' into multi user mode...
    Setting SQL Server database 'TFSVersionControl' into multi user mode...
    Setting SQL Server database 'TFSWorkItemTracking' into multi user mode...
    Setting SQL Server database 'TFSWorkItemTrackingAttachments' into multi user mode...
    Starting SQL Service 'SQLSERVERAGENT'...
    Starting SQL Service 'MSFTESQL'...
    Removing IP restriction for Website 'W3SVC'...
    Starting Windows Service 'W3SVC'...
    Retrying...
    Retrying...
    Retrying...
    Retrying...
    Retrying...

Workflow 'Unquiesce ATDT' failed! ExitCode = 8000.
    05/10/07 09:37:09 DDSet_Status: Process returned 8000
    05/10/07 09:37:09 DDSet_Status: Found the matching error code  for return value '8000' and it is: '29214'
    05/10/07 09:37:09 DDSet_Error:  8000
    05/10/07 09:37:09 DDSet_CARetVal: 29214
    05/10/07 09:37:09 DDSet_Status: QuietExec returned 29214
    05/10/07 09:37:09 DDSet_Exit: QuietExec ended
    Action ended 9:37:09: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

the installer attemtps to roll back after this point, but fails. apon starting vs2005 get the error;

http code:503 tf30059: fatal error while initalizing web service, which points to - http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/srlteam/archive/2007/03/14/Problems-after-installing-TFS-SP1.aspx

(all db's are correct multi-user mode and iss security is set correctly)

Notice in the system log;

The TFSServerScheduler service failed to start due to the following error:

The service did not start due to a logon failure.

When trying to manually start this it fails, but after changing the password it starts fine. - but after running the installer again the same problem happens.

how do I re-set this account to make the installer work?  re- "microsoft support says that this is due to the user that TFSServerScheduler runs under had it's password changed or it is disabled since it was installed"

help! (have a bunch of brooding developers congergrating at my door......)

thanks

Thursday, May 10, 2007 12:02 AM
  • back again - once installer had started, I re-set the password on the tfsserverscheduler account and the coveran services and sp1 installed correctly,

still need to find a fix for this, due to potential problems with future service packs

Thursday, May 10, 2007 12:28 AM
  • I finally resolved this by taking this as a sign it was time to upgrade our TFS physical server. 

So I built a completely new Quad Core Dell PowerEdge 1950, 4GB RAM, RAID-1, Win2k3 R2 SP2, SQL2005 SP2.

Then I loaded on Sharepoint 2.0 SP2 and the same patches I had on the old TFS Server.

VisualStudio TFS, patched it with SP1 (it went in with no issues)

I then did a DB backup from the old server an, Sans the sharepoint Config DB, and then restored the databases on the new box.

It's important to get the Sharepoint patches exactly the same on the boxes or you'll have issues.

It's also important to try to keep the Sharepoint App Pool identities straight and they have the proper permissions before you restore the DB's over the freshly installed ones.

While I don't recomend this as THE only way to fix this solution, it makes me feel better that I was the one that installed this box and I know what was done.  I have also fully documented this process for later. 

I'm not looking forward to upgrading this to Orcas if these kinds of issues are the norm.  I hope it'll be a much less painful migration.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:50 PM
  • Not sure if this will solve everyone's problems, but I first tried to install the Service Pack while logged into the server as myself.  This cause me to receive the following error whenever I tried to checkout a file from the solution....

TF30040: The database is not correctly configured. Contact your Team Foundation Server administrator.

So I checked the SourceControl database and the DBO role was using the tfssetup identity.  So I logged out and logged back in as tfssetup and reran the service pack.

Viola.  Problem solved.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 7:05 PM