No support expected for RDP in containers for Windows Server 2016 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello, the different teams in charge of the Containers features have been working very hard to make sure that we deliver the best product possible. We have spent a lot of time going back and forth on whether the RDP feature would be available for Containers; however, we have recently concluded that it is unlikely that this feature will make it to Windows Server 2016 for GA. We are committed to delivering a product that works consistently and reliably, and currently our team does not have the resources to ensure this for RDP into a container. We have heard your feedback, and we will continue to invest in this feature in the future.

Stayed tuned for more information on future development.

Thanks,

Ender

Friday, July 1, 2016 11:08 PM

All replies

• It is really a bad news. RDP support is crucial for us to deploy legacy program on container.

Saturday, July 2, 2016 3:04 AM
  • What about vnc? Is it possible? My case is to run automation tests in browsers in containers.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:38 PM
  • Should that be the job of Selenium? (or Windows Driver whatever)

BTW, I'm really interested in your test flow, any chance to share a bit?

p.s. I somehow feel Automated Test doesn't really mix with RDP or VNC.
    • Edited by Xied75 Tuesday, July 19, 2016 4:55 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 4:53 PM
  • That's too bad.  I certainly understand that the point of this particular implementation of Containers is to scale microservices in the Cloud, etc., but there are some apps that rely pretty heavily on GUI support during install or initial configuration, and not having a GUI available for those instances is going to make the use-cases for containers pretty limited until more app vendors get around to making their installs truly silent and GUI-less, and making their configurations available through something like PowerShell.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 4:48 PM
  • Hello Ender

When the RDP feature will be available ? Is there any schedule about that?

Thanks

Xia

Monday, August 8, 2016 7:56 AM
  • that's too bad, but this feature is very important even if you use the container just for microservices,

but in many situations, we have no choice but to use the rdp to connect a container.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 7:28 AM
  • Are there any more updates regarding support for RDP in Windows Server Containers?

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 7:54 PM
  • I would also be interested in an update on this. At the moment we are looking at forming our long term plans. If this is a dropped feature, and as such not likely to appear on R2 or even next full version, then that would be good to know now.
    Monday, June 12, 2017 3:10 PM
  • I have the following User Story for you.

As a Test Engineer responsible for automating deployment of various test environments for End-To-End test-automation, i want to migrate legacy GUI-Apps from windows client VM's to windows containers on windows server 2016, and rely on an RDP connection for the instrumentation and streering of the App during test-execution, so that i can speed up the deployment of a large number of varying test environments on a large infrastructure in an enterprise context and react faster to new scenarios and demands. 

Is this a User Story that Microsoft is intending to Address in Windows Server 2016? 

Monday, September 11, 2017 8:58 PM
  • It would be good if you can share road map to add support for remote desktop feature.

Thanks.

Vaibhav Gawali

Saturday, December 30, 2017 1:59 PM
  • What is the point of having RDP inside container? The only reason might be if you plan to commit image instead of building them from scratch with DOCKERFILE as you are supposed to do. As far as I understand Windows containers are not supporing `commit` images and hence I'm questioning what you are planning to use RDP for? Remember all containers are at most ServerCore images with no UI, so even if you would be able to RDP into it all you will see command prompt, so it will not be much different then just using `docker exec` into it or `Enter-PSSession`
    Sunday, January 7, 2018 2:50 AM