none
Issues converting .vhd to .vhdx (with FSLogix 2.9.6999.2588 on Win 10 1809 10.0.17763.557) RRS feed

• Question

• I am having issues converting .vhd to .vhdx. This is FSLogix 2.9.6999.2588 on Win 10 1809 10.0.17763.557 . I verified the original .vhd was closed. Frx creates the vhdx but always quits at 3379200 kb. I have plenty of disc space and it does not matter if the original .vhd is local or on the network. Error below:

c:\Program Files\FSLogix\Apps>frx migrate-vhd -src \\fs\vdi\S-1-5-21-blahblahblah_havealoha\Profile_havealoha.vhd -dest c:\temp\Profile_havealoha.vhdx

Formatting volume: \\?\Volume{d6137422-28f8-4d71-bd74-c58251fa7020}\
                   Exit code: 9
    Error Mirroring files (0x0000001D): The system cannot write to the specified device.

I also tried doing this on the file server using powershells convert-vhd command which seems to only be available with the hyper-v role. This server is already a virtualized (esx) server so I do not want to add the hyper-v role. Instead I tried to just add the rsat tool for managing hyper v. That got me the convert-vhd command in powershell but when trying to run it I get the following error:

PS V:\Vdiprofiles\S-1-blahblahblah_havealoha> Convert-VHD .\Profile_havealoha.vhd .\Profile_havealoha.vhdx
    Convert-VHD : The Hyper-V role is not installed on the destination host. Add the Hyper-V role on that host and then run this cmdlet again.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Convert-VHD .\Profile_havealoha.vhd .\Profile_havealoha.vhdx
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Convert-VHD], VirtualizationOperationFailedException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Vhd.PowerShell.ConvertVhdCommand 
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 5:32 PM

All replies

• Hello M.Burnstead,

Did this suggestion resolve the issue? Please let us know if you still need assistance with this issue.

• "Just add the Hyper-V role.   It won't do any harm, and then the commands above will work.  You can then use the VHD management commands to do things like shrink the VHD files from a scheduled task, which allows you to reclaim a ton of disk space."

- Micah Adamson

Monday, August 5, 2019 4:46 PM
    Owner