none
Jan 2018 .NET security rollup vs .NET 4.7.1 install--which update should install first? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The Jan 2018 .NET Framework security rollup KB4055266 was installed first on my Win8.1 x64 system.  The .NET 4.7.1 installer KB4033369 was available but unchecked.  A few days later KB4033369 was installed.  Was that the correct order?  The security rollup stated it was also for .NET 4.7.1, which wasn't on my system yet. 

I noticed on my Win7 machine the .NET Framework security rollup was installed and the .NET 4.7.1 installer was available but unchecked.  A few days later, the .NET 4.7.1 installer disappeared from Windows Update.  Just want to make sure it wasn't pulled because it needed to be installed before the security update, which means there's a problem on my Win8.1 machine.

Thanks!

Thursday, January 18, 2018 1:46 PM

Answers

• Hi WrRd,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, your issue is about the Windows updates.

>> Was that the correct order?  The security rollup stated it was also for .NET 4.7.1, which wasn't on my system yet. 

KB4055266 is part of the January 2018 Preview of the Quality Rollups for .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, and 4.7.1 for Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB 4057272).  As my understanding, it not just for .NET Framework 4.7.1, but also for other .NET Frameworks that installed on your computer. The .NET Framework 4.7.1 installer KB4033369 installed after this security update, it still works for the .NET Framework 4.7.1 and do not need to worry about this. Only if you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update, we can know this under ‘Summary--important’ part of the above KB4055266 article.

I suppose the windows updates pull is different between OS, or you set auto update for windows updates in your Windows 7/8 computer.

If you still confuse about it, please redirect to this appropriate forum: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1 and start a new thread for a better support, our forum is to discuss .NET Framework installation issues, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by WrRd Friday, January 19, 2018 1:26 PM
    Friday, January 19, 2018 3:23 AM

All replies

• Hi WrRd,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, your issue is about the Windows updates.

>> Was that the correct order?  The security rollup stated it was also for .NET 4.7.1, which wasn't on my system yet. 

KB4055266 is part of the January 2018 Preview of the Quality Rollups for .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, and 4.7.1 for Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB 4057272).  As my understanding, it not just for .NET Framework 4.7.1, but also for other .NET Frameworks that installed on your computer. The .NET Framework 4.7.1 installer KB4033369 installed after this security update, it still works for the .NET Framework 4.7.1 and do not need to worry about this. Only if you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update, we can know this under ‘Summary--important’ part of the above KB4055266 article.

I suppose the windows updates pull is different between OS, or you set auto update for windows updates in your Windows 7/8 computer.

If you still confuse about it, please redirect to this appropriate forum: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1 and start a new thread for a better support, our forum is to discuss .NET Framework installation issues, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by WrRd Friday, January 19, 2018 1:26 PM
    Friday, January 19, 2018 3:23 AM
  • Thanks, Sara!  I had already posted this in the forum you suggested, and they asked me to post my question here!  
    Friday, January 19, 2018 1:26 PM
  • Hi WrRd,

Thank you for your update.

>> A few days later, the .NET 4.7.1 installer disappeared from Windows Update. 

In Windows 7, please check the Installed Updates or View update history to check if the .NET Framework 4.7.1 is auto installed or not. If not, please check the pending windows update with Important/Recommended/Optional types to see if the .NET Framework 4.7.1 update still pending or not.

Both of your Windows 7 and 8.1 are turn automatic updates off?

If you worry about the order in your Windows 8.1, please go to Installed Updates and uninstall the .NET Framework security rollup KB4055266, then re-install it again.

Best regards,

Sara

Monday, January 22, 2018 8:07 AM