Problems accessing DSS services on different PCs/IP's RRS feed

• Question

• DSS is great!  Now that I have worked with it for more than a year, I really appreciate its distributed architecture which provides a very powerful platform on which to orchestrate the workings of multiple asynchronous partners/components.  Thus far, I have been running DSS services on a single PC, but I am now trying to get different PCs to partner their services together for a more complicated application involving real time visioning and image processing. I have several PCs on my wireless LAN which I have configured to belong to the same Microsoft Windows Network.  I can therefore share files between these PCs without problems.  But since DSSP is a different protocol from that of file sharing, I am not sure what I need to do to gain access to the DSS services on another PC.  I have read DSS service Tutorial 7, and have tried to access the DSS service directory of another PC by specifying its URL. No luck!  In searching for answers on this forum, I have found one post that is similar in nature to mine with the heading 'Service Tutorial 7 unable to link with different IPs' (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sr-Latn-CS/roboticsdss/thread/9fc6999d-66c9-4ab2-8a7c-58d0c4516c59), but for some reason, I am not able to access that particular post.  I can see other posts though, just not that one plus a few others.  Perhaps the moderator has taken these offline?  In any case, I would be very grateful for some guidance on what steps/requirements are needed to view and access the DSS services on another PC that resides on the same Microsoft Windows Network?  Many thanks.   
    drew
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 11:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Drew,

I've been working on this recently and found Service Tutorial 11 to be a good place to start.  It demonstrates how to get Service tutorial 4 and 5 working on two different nodes using the Manifest Editor.  However you can can have the nodes running on separate machines if you change 'localhost' to the IP (or preferabbly the hostname) of the other PC when you create the manifests.  The manifest editor will create two deploy packages, one of which you will deploy on the other PC.  This will become more clear as you walk through ST11.

There are a couple of caveats: First, you'll have to take to care to make sure the DSS security settings are correct.   These can be set by the /s flag when running dsshost.exe from the command line and specifying the appropriate XML file (see the .chm documentation file for information regarding DSS security).  Also, if you have windows firewall turned on, you may need to use httpreserve commandline tool (ST11 explains this).  I turned windows firewall and DSS security settings off to get started.  Second, as per an earlier suggestion from George C. (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/roboticsdss/thread/a3406d5b-2a42-4d40-9a67-f43333b7736f/), I added the name of the machines to the respective HOSTS file.  It was the host names I used in the DSS manifest editor, not the IP addresses. 

After getting ST4 and ST5 talking to one another, I was able to use the Manifest editor to create a custom manifest for my own application across the PCs.

It was also very useful to use the /console/output windows on both machine to inspect how everything was running.  

Monday, April 25, 2011 4:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Drew,

I've been working on this recently and found Service Tutorial 11 to be a good place to start.  It demonstrates how to get Service tutorial 4 and 5 working on two different nodes using the Manifest Editor.  However you can can have the nodes running on separate machines if you change 'localhost' to the IP (or preferabbly the hostname) of the other PC when you create the manifests.  The manifest editor will create two deploy packages, one of which you will deploy on the other PC.  This will become more clear as you walk through ST11.

There are a couple of caveats: First, you'll have to take to care to make sure the DSS security settings are correct.   These can be set by the /s flag when running dsshost.exe from the command line and specifying the appropriate XML file (see the .chm documentation file for information regarding DSS security).  Also, if you have windows firewall turned on, you may need to use httpreserve commandline tool (ST11 explains this).  I turned windows firewall and DSS security settings off to get started.  Second, as per an earlier suggestion from George C. (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/roboticsdss/thread/a3406d5b-2a42-4d40-9a67-f43333b7736f/), I added the name of the machines to the respective HOSTS file.  It was the host names I used in the DSS manifest editor, not the IP addresses. 

After getting ST4 and ST5 talking to one another, I was able to use the Manifest editor to create a custom manifest for my own application across the PCs.

It was also very useful to use the /console/output windows on both machine to inspect how everything was running.  

Monday, April 25, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Thank you very much for your advice.  I will focus on getting Tutorial 11 to work across two PCs.  But first, I thought I should at least confirm that the two PCs can access each other's DSS directory (using the defined port of 50000 on both machines).  So I have turned off DSSHost authentication/security for both PCs, and have modified the firewall settings of each PC to allow the other to come in.  This is where I am running into issues right now.  On one PC I am running Norton Internet Security, while on the other I have AVG Internet Security 2011.  The latter's firewall settings are much easier to configure.  So from the 'AVG' computer, I can now access 'Norton' computer's DSS directory using the IP address of the 'Norton' PC.  But fiddled as I have with the Norton firewall settings (including disabling firewall totally), I am still not able to see its DSS directory from the 'AVG' machine.  I keep getting 'Cannot reach <IP address of 'Norton' computer>' error message.  I have of course verified that the two machines can PING each other.  So I am not sure what is going on.  In the worst case, I suppose I could put AVG on the 'Norton' PC as well. 

Drew

drew
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:20 AM