Metro App for ECC Storage Driver

Question

• I am porting a Linux based ECC engine to Windows 8. This generation of the ECC engine is implemented with SSE instructions, so there is no external hardware required. My driver now compiles OK with VS12 and is currently undergoing HCK testing prior to submission for a logo.

I would prefer to do a Metro GUI for the ECC engine. The ECC engine itself is detected as a SCSI disk storage device (a virtual storport), and the HCK both recognizes it and generates a set of tests for logo certification.

Can I do a Metro style app for this device driver, assuming it passes the logo tests? Or should I stick to a Windows 7 style control interface?

Thank you,

Mike Anderson

Sunday, July 29, 2012 7:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• Mike,

Likely a Windows 7 style app.  What would be the main functionality of the app?

Best Wishes - Eric

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:15 AM
  • The ECC engine creates and then interleaves ECC bytes with data bytes on a device, so that if the device develops an unrecoverable read error, ECC can be used to recreate the data.

I have to say that after reviewing all the materials on Metro, I really want my users to be able to "touch" my control system.  I think after people get over the shock of a new interface, they are going to really love it.

Thanks for your help,

Mike Anderson

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:09 AM
  • Mike,

It looks like a Desktop application is the proper choice in this situation.

Best Wishes - Eric

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 5:24 PM
  • Hi,

I see you mentioned the HCK Testing for your driver.

Can you please kindly share your steps for testing? since we're encountering problems in getting our driver certified by HCK?

As our driver cannot be recognized by HCK, we select the Optical Disc Drive as test target, but it failed in Optical Logo Test for many types of disc, CD-R,CD-RW,DVD-R, etc....

Is there anything wrong with our method?

Anyway to test the driver only instead of the whold disc drive?....

Thanks very much.

Thursday, July 04, 2013 6:47 AM