Add Reference crashes Visual Studio RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm not sure I'm posting to the right forum but I didn't see a better idea.

I've been running VS Pro 2008 on this workstation with no problem for over a year.  It's suddenly started crashing any time I add a reference.  No message or anything, VS just goes away.  This is true in all projects, including new ones with nothing in them.  I just tried a repair install and it didn't fix the issue.  I've been working on the same project for quite a while and haven't needed to add references so I don't have any good clues about what started this or when.

Help!

Thank you!
    Steve
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Steve,

Some clarification with you:
    What's your OS?

It's suddenly started crashing any time I add a reference.  No message or anything, VS just goes away.  This is true in all projects, including new ones with nothing in them.

Frankly speaking, for VS IDE crash issue, there would be many causes for it to happen. Could you please help me to check the following steps to deal with the crash?

Firstly, if you are running Vista or later OS, I would suggest you to launch Visual Studio with elevated Administrator privilege (Right click the shortcut >> Click "Run as Administrator").

Then please try some common workarounds mentioned below to handle crash issue:
      1. Try running devenv /Resetsettings in Command Prompt to eliminate the cause of corrupted settings.
      2. Try running devenv /ResetSkipPkgs in Command Prompt.
      3. Try running devenv /Safemode in Command Prompt to see if you can apply it correctly.
      4. Reboot the machine into Safe Mode. This can isolate some third party application/driver's interference.
      5. Switch to try a new user account. This can rule out the possibility of corrupted user profile.

If the above suggestions don't work, please try checking in your event log and see if you see any exceptions that are logged around the time that the error occurs. It might shed some light on this problem.
    For more information on how to view event log, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Moreover, usually, we need to look into the memory dump to know what the cause is.
    This means that we might debug the crash. Like start another instance of VS 2008 and attach to the process of VS 2008 (Devenv.exe). Try to get the call stack or dump to narrow down root cause.
    For more information, please refer to: http://blogs.msdn.com/kirillosenkov/archive/2008/12/07/how-to-debug-crashes-and-hangs.aspx

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, February 3, 2010 5:02 AM
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:23 AM typo
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:57 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply.

Have you ever upgraded Visual Studio 2008 to SP1?
    Before you try to get the dump file, you also can try the following two tips:

- Updating VS2008 to VS2008 SP1. It might address issues that were found through a combination of customer and partner feedback, as well as internal testing. The service pack offers Visual Studio and .NET Framework users improvements in responsiveness, stability and performance. 
      We can download the SP1 installer from the following link:
      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=27673C47-B3B5-4C67-BD99-84E525B5CE61&displaylang=en

- Additionally, another useful tool is the Process Monitor tool http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx which can capture the access log.
      Filter on the process name devenv.exe in the log so that you see only the related list.
      This should give you more info on what are the registry keys/ files being accessed when the crash happens.

It isn't clear to me how to get a dump of this.  The blog post discusses attaching to the process of the running application, not of devenv.  Can I do that?  (My application is, of course, not running while I try to add a reference.)

For your concern on getting dump file, we can focus from "Attaching a debugger" part in the blog.
    We should open two instances of Visual Studio 2008. In the second one, click Tools menu >> Attach to Process.... Then attach the process of first Visual Studio 2008 instance (devenv.exe). After that, reproduce the crash issue (add reference) in this first instance.
    For more detail steps, please refer to: http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2006/07/25/678308.aspx (also apply to VS2008).

If it doesn't disturb you a lot, you can try providing me more information on the steps to reproduce the crash issue and sending me the dump files to my mailbox: v-yicche@microsoft.com.
    To feedback the crash issue, I'm willing to help you to report this problem to the Microsoft feedback website:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio

Every feedback submitted will be evaluated carefully by our engineers. They will let us know their comments further through that portal. This would be helpful to improve Visual Studio products.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Friday, January 29, 2010 3:28 AM typo
    Friday, January 29, 2010 3:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

Some clarification with you:
    What's your OS?

It's suddenly started crashing any time I add a reference.  No message or anything, VS just goes away.  This is true in all projects, including new ones with nothing in them.

Frankly speaking, for VS IDE crash issue, there would be many causes for it to happen. Could you please help me to check the following steps to deal with the crash?

Firstly, if you are running Vista or later OS, I would suggest you to launch Visual Studio with elevated Administrator privilege (Right click the shortcut >> Click "Run as Administrator").

Then please try some common workarounds mentioned below to handle crash issue:
      1. Try running devenv /Resetsettings in Command Prompt to eliminate the cause of corrupted settings.
      2. Try running devenv /ResetSkipPkgs in Command Prompt.
      3. Try running devenv /Safemode in Command Prompt to see if you can apply it correctly.
      4. Reboot the machine into Safe Mode. This can isolate some third party application/driver's interference.
      5. Switch to try a new user account. This can rule out the possibility of corrupted user profile.

If the above suggestions don't work, please try checking in your event log and see if you see any exceptions that are logged around the time that the error occurs. It might shed some light on this problem.
    For more information on how to view event log, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Moreover, usually, we need to look into the memory dump to know what the cause is.
    This means that we might debug the crash. Like start another instance of VS 2008 and attach to the process of VS 2008 (Devenv.exe). Try to get the call stack or dump to narrow down root cause.
    For more information, please refer to: http://blogs.msdn.com/kirillosenkov/archive/2008/12/07/how-to-debug-crashes-and-hangs.aspx

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:23 AM typo
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:57 AM
  • Hi Yichun

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64.

I've gone thru the first steps with no success.  The issue persists if I run as adminstrator, run devenv in safe mode, run the OS in safe mode or run as a different user whose account I just created.  No events show up in the log.

It isn't clear to me how to get a dump of this.  The blog post discusses attaching to the process of the running application, not of devenv.  Can I do that?  (My application is, of course, not running while I try to add a reference.)

Thanks for your help!!!
    Steve
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:38 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply.

Have you ever upgraded Visual Studio 2008 to SP1?
    Before you try to get the dump file, you also can try the following two tips:

- Updating VS2008 to VS2008 SP1. It might address issues that were found through a combination of customer and partner feedback, as well as internal testing. The service pack offers Visual Studio and .NET Framework users improvements in responsiveness, stability and performance. 
      We can download the SP1 installer from the following link:
      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=27673C47-B3B5-4C67-BD99-84E525B5CE61&displaylang=en

- Additionally, another useful tool is the Process Monitor tool http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx which can capture the access log.
      Filter on the process name devenv.exe in the log so that you see only the related list.
      This should give you more info on what are the registry keys/ files being accessed when the crash happens.

For your concern on getting dump file, we can focus from "Attaching a debugger" part in the blog.
    We should open two instances of Visual Studio 2008. In the second one, click Tools menu >> Attach to Process.... Then attach the process of first Visual Studio 2008 instance (devenv.exe). After that, reproduce the crash issue (add reference) in this first instance.
    For more detail steps, please refer to: http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2006/07/25/678308.aspx (also apply to VS2008).

If it doesn't disturb you a lot, you can try providing me more information on the steps to reproduce the crash issue and sending me the dump files to my mailbox: v-yicche@microsoft.com.
    To feedback the crash issue, I'm willing to help you to report this problem to the Microsoft feedback website:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio

Every feedback submitted will be evaluated carefully by our engineers. They will let us know their comments further through that portal. This would be helpful to improve Visual Studio products.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Friday, January 29, 2010 3:28 AM typo
    Friday, January 29, 2010 3:16 AM
  • Hi Steve,

I've marked my reply as answer. If you have any concern, you can unmark my reply and let me know.

Have a great week!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 5:01 AM