Visual Studio Online RRS feed

• Question

• I am totally new to cloud. I have just activated Visual Studio Online & have linked it to my azure account. While connecting the Visual Studio Online it is asking me Microsoft Account. But I want users to authenticate through active directory instead of Microsoft account.

Regards,

Ishwar.

Friday, April 10, 2015 7:42 AM

Answers

• Hi Ishwar,

Thanks for posting here.

You should be able to sync your on-premises Active Directory with Azure Active Directory. Visual Studio Online works with Azure Active Directory, but there's some considerations before you connect your Visual Studio Online account to your directory. In short:

• Make sure that you have a directory administrator who can add members to the directory.
    • Make sure that all your users appear in the directory, not just in your Visual Studio Online account.
    • If you want to keep your users' history, data, and links, those users must appear in the directory with the same sign-in addresses that they're using now. This means adding their Microsoft accounts to the directory -- unless they have organizational accounts with the same email addresses as their Microsoft accounts. In this 2nd case, they can just sign in and see all their work. However, if they must use new organizational accounts or existing ones with different email addresses, they'll have to reassign everything, including licenses and subscriptions, to those accounts. You'll also have to add those organizational accounts to your Visual Studio Online account and remove the Microsoft accounts to free up licenses.
    • Make sure that Visual Studio Online account owner is also a directory member and has an Azure subscription associated with your directory. They need this to connect the account to the directory. They must also be a directory administrator, if they want to add users to the directory.

This experience might be easy or complicated, depending on your situation. So, please feel free to send feedback through User Voice here.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/buckh/archive/2014/04/03/azure-portal-preview-and-visual-studio-online-adding-a-user.aspx

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/get-started/setup/connect-to-visual-studio-online-vs

Hope this helps you.

Girish Prajwal

• Marked as answer by Sowmya K R Thursday, April 16, 2015 11:13 AM
    Friday, April 10, 2015 1:10 PM