none
Open Word document from internet explorer in read/write mode RRS feed

• Question

• I've a web app that provide word (and other office) document to users.

When these document are opened via internet explorer, it's always in Read-Only and indeed I can't make any changes.

I've searched and found several post about a registry key to add to disable this behavior:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common\Internet\OpenDocumentsReadWriteWhileBrowsing = 1

I've tried that (using 14.0 as I've Office 2010) but no way, the word document is still opened in read only mode.

Do you know any way to do that ?

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 3:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Where is the document "http://localhost/Test/test.docx" hosted? In the SharePoint or in a normal website?

If it is hosted in a normal website, you could open it in an ActiveX control as Read-Only. But we could not edit the document and post the changes back without the server side support. So it will let you save as a new document.

If it is hosted in SharePoint, since you are using SharePoint ActiveX control, I suggest you posting in SharePoint Development and Programming forum for more effective responses.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:25 AM

All replies

• Do you mean that you want to edit a document provided in desktop and save it back to your app?

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:23 AM
  • No

I'm trying to put a simple link on a web page, and when user click on this link the file is downloaded, word start and the document is loaded by word.

This work fine, but the loaded document is in Read Only and user can't change it.

This is needed because we have an add-in in word which intercept the save and take the document to save it in our system. But as the opened file is in read-only the save is unavailable (only Save As)

I've tried:

- To put the registry key (as written in my previous post)

- To use the Sharepoint ActiveX to open the document :

var obj = new ActiveXObject('SharePoint.OpenDocuments.3');

obj.EditDocument("http://localhost/Test/test.docx");

- To use Word ActiveX to open the document (which throw a security alert, but it was for test purpose):

var objEditor = new ActiveXObject("Word.Application");
    objEditor.Visible = true; 
    objEditor.Documents.Open("http://localhost/Test/test.docx", false, false);

The result is always the same: the document is opened in read-only

(Of course, when I open the test.docx file directly it's *not* in read-only)

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:44 PM
  • Hi,

Where is the document "http://localhost/Test/test.docx" hosted? In the SharePoint or in a normal website?

If it is hosted in a normal website, you could open it in an ActiveX control as Read-Only. But we could not edit the document and post the changes back without the server side support. So it will let you save as a new document.

If it is hosted in SharePoint, since you are using SharePoint ActiveX control, I suggest you posting in SharePoint Development and Programming forum for more effective responses.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:25 AM
  • It's a normal website

Posting back to the server is out of scope (it's already handled by an add-on in Word)

I just try to open the document in write mode

In Chrome and firefox it works without problem: the document is opened in write mode. But internet explorer force the document in read-only mode. It's my problem.

As it seems impossible to open the document in write mode with IE, I've created my own activeX which does the job.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 5:03 PM