none
Adding controls to a panel in thread safe way RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am developing a WinForms application. Currently it is single-threaded but I would like to make it multi threaded. I am having a problem with this function:

private void AddToPanel(Panel p, Control c)  
            {  
                p.Controls.Clear();  
                p.Controls.Add(c);  
            } 

In single threaded mode this function dynamically adds controls to a panel and works just fine.

When I use it from multi threaded application it throws an exception Illegal cross-thread operation.

I tried to solve this with delegate but I could not make it to work. The problem here is that controls were created in different threads initially.

Is there a way to solve this?

Thanks, Frenki
    Saturday, August 9, 2008 4:01 PM

Answers

• Creating forms on another thread is a great way to get in trouble like this.  Still, using p.Invoke() instead of this.Invoke() should work.
    Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by Zhi-Xin Ye Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:03 PM
    Saturday, August 9, 2008 7:46 PM

All replies

• > I tried to solve this with delegate but I could not make it to work. The problem here is that controls were created in different threads initially.

I think you should find a way so that your delegate/callback can create the controls.  This may involve passing more data to the callback than you are currently doing.

Note that the forum for Windows Forms questions is: http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showforum.aspx?forumid=8&siteid=1
    Saturday, August 9, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Creating forms on another thread is a great way to get in trouble like this.  Still, using p.Invoke() instead of this.Invoke() should work.
    Hans Passant.
    Saturday, August 9, 2008 7:46 PM