none
Versioning WinCE firmware images RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All,

I need to put version information for different firmware wince images like NK.bin, eboot.bin and xldr.bin

If i compile xldr only xldr version shall be updated and if i compile the whole project version info of all the bin files shall be updated.

The version for all software/firmware components should start from 7.X.X.X

I should be able to read this version information from kernel/application.

What could be the best possible way to implement this ?

Can you please share your thoughts.

--- Misbah

Senior Design Engineer T.E.S Electroni Solutions (Bangalore-India) www.tes-dst.com email-misbah.khan@tes-dst.com

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 5:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Misbah,

One thought is when ever there is modification we need to change the version numbers in BATCH file.

Based upon batch file values CDEFINE those values in sources.cmn and get the values in XLDR, EBOOT and kenel image.

In BSP.bat file you need to set the values for MAJOR_RELEASE, BUILD_DIGIT_1 and so on.

In sources.cmn you will have as given below.

MAJOR_RELEASE=$(MAJOR_RELEASE)
    BUILD_DIGIT_1=$(BUILD_DIGIT_1)
    BUILD_DIGIT_2=$(BUILD_DIGIT_2)
    BUILD_DIGIT_3=$(BUILD_DIGIT_3)

CDEFINES=$(CDEFINES) -DMAJOR_RELEASE=$(MAJOR_RELEASE) 
    CDEFINES=$(CDEFINES) -DBUILD_DIGIT_1=$(BUILD_DIGIT_1)
    CDEFINES=$(CDEFINES) -DBUILD_DIGIT_2=$(BUILD_DIGIT_2)
    CDEFINES=$(CDEFINES) -DBUILD_DIGIT_3=$(BUILD_DIGIT_3)

Add all the verison numbers in platform.reg also so, that you can read particular registry from application or kernel drivers.

Hope this helps

Regards,

GSR

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 6:27 AM
  • Thanks GSR,

The issue with the method you suggested is this :

If i build only XLDR or only Eboot or XLDR and Eboot but not NK and update eboot and/or xldr only in the device.

And try to read the version from the registry, i will get the old version for eboot and xldr.

So i have to update NK every time to get the correct versions for Eboot and Xldr.

--- Misbah

Senior Design Engineer T.E.S Electroni Solutions (Bangalore-India) www.tes-dst.com email-misbah.khan@tes-dst.com

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 11:50 AM
  • Hi Misbah,

Good point. In that case how about reserving some area in Flash and each module updating into that particular reserved area. We need to hard code the location in XLDR, EBOOT and NK.bin where the version for XLDR, EBOOT and NK is available.

I think here until the module boots the version might not be updated hence there is a chance of getting old version number.

Regards,

GSR

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 12:37 PM
  • I don't like versions in the registry becuase they can be modified.

Instead, I prefer adding IOCTLS to the kernel to retreive versions.   The bootloader version can be communicated to the kernel via, boot args, shared memory, or as Misbah suggested, flash.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 2:39 PM