I can see Windows 7 listed under Windows Developer Preview, but I cannot boot into Windows 7

Question

• HELP! I separated the partitions of my C: drive and installed Windows 8. Now I can see Windows 7 under Windows 8, but If i try loading windows 7, it goes straight to the windows diagnostic tools, and yes I tried all the tools.
    Now only Windows 8 loads and i can't print in windows 8, so  PLEASE HELP!
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 2:05 AM

Answers

• Hey RoThePro,

I've split your response into a new thread so that the community can take a look at your problem specifically. If you are seeing this message through your email you can access your new thread by visiting the MSDN forums, logging into your account, and clicking the My Threads link displayed in the right column of the page.

When you are in Windows Developer Preview, can you see the contents of both Windows 7 and Windows Developer Preview by opening Windows Explorer and exploring the two partitions that the operating systems are installed on? (Probably C: and D:, but this may vary depending on your setup.)

For your printing problem, try visiting the website of your printer manufacturer to download/install the latest driver for your printer. If the driver isn't able to install because it isn't applicable or is designed for a different version of Windows, try using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if that allows the driver to install properly. The compatibility troubleshooter can be opened by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver. You will likely want to choose the choice for This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now when it is given if the latest driver is only applicable to a different version of Windows.

Steven
    Friday, December 9, 2011 10:11 PM
  • HELP! I separated the partitions of my C: drive and installed Windows 8. Now I can see Windows 7 under Windows 8, but If i try loading windows 7, it goes straight to the windows diagnostic tools,

Hi RoThePro,

I am afraid you will have to repair your Windows7 installation, here's the way I did it: While booting into WDP, please select Other Options  instead of selecting an OS to boot in, change your Default OS from WDP to Windows7. Put your Windows 7 disk in the drive, modify your boot options to boot from the CD, once the Windows7 installation begins, choose the option Repair and go ahead with repairing your Win7 installation. You may loose your WDP graphic Boot Manager but later you can repair it using the same process.

Irfan
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 5:29 PM

All replies

• Hey RoThePro,

I've split your response into a new thread so that the community can take a look at your problem specifically. If you are seeing this message through your email you can access your new thread by visiting the MSDN forums, logging into your account, and clicking the My Threads link displayed in the right column of the page.

When you are in Windows Developer Preview, can you see the contents of both Windows 7 and Windows Developer Preview by opening Windows Explorer and exploring the two partitions that the operating systems are installed on? (Probably C: and D:, but this may vary depending on your setup.)

For your printing problem, try visiting the website of your printer manufacturer to download/install the latest driver for your printer. If the driver isn't able to install because it isn't applicable or is designed for a different version of Windows, try using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if that allows the driver to install properly. The compatibility troubleshooter can be opened by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver. You will likely want to choose the choice for This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now when it is given if the latest driver is only applicable to a different version of Windows.

Steven
    Friday, December 9, 2011 10:11 PM
  • HELP! I separated the partitions of my C: drive and installed Windows 8. Now I can see Windows 7 under Windows 8, but If i try loading windows 7, it goes straight to the windows diagnostic tools,

Hi RoThePro,

I am afraid you will have to repair your Windows7 installation, here's the way I did it: While booting into WDP, please select Other Options  instead of selecting an OS to boot in, change your Default OS from WDP to Windows7. Put your Windows 7 disk in the drive, modify your boot options to boot from the CD, once the Windows7 installation begins, choose the option Repair and go ahead with repairing your Win7 installation. You may loose your WDP graphic Boot Manager but later you can repair it using the same process.

Irfan
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 5:29 PM