Adding Domain to Existing Exchange Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all - we are bringing a new store over to our internal domain for network/directory access etc but want to keep their email domain.  We are both running Exchange 2016.  Our functional level is 2012R2, theirs is 08R2.  I know we can add their email domain to our Exch server as an authoritative domain, repoint their MX record and should have mail flow.

I'm having trouble figuring the best way to create AD accounts in our domain, migrate their exchange data and link their AD account to their mailbox.  I've created an OU "theirdomain" in which their user accounts will go.  I know I can specify via Exchange email policy that that domain is the default email for any users in that OU.  But that doesn't help me with existing users. I was hoping to be able to do this without the 2 domains ever seeing each other or creating trusts and new AD domains etc.  Mgmt wants a hard cutover but retain email usage. Any suggestions on best way to go about this?

Monday, September 28, 2020 9:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean you don't want to deploy the forest trust and migrate mailboxes from other domain?

If so, you may have to migrate those mailboxes with pst files. Create new mailboxes in your organization, import mailbox items from pst files. 

In general, it's suggested to perform the cross forest migration. You can check this for more details:

Prepare mailboxes for cross-forest move requests,

Exchange 2010 Cross-Forest Migration Step by Step Guide.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Exchange Server Development forum mainly discuss issues about Exchange development, and it's not monitored. Other TechNet Exchange sub-forums are migrated to Microsoft Q&A. We invite you to post new questions with related tags in the new forum.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 29, 2020 7:14 AM
  • Ok so I'm at this point.  Let me know if I'm on right track:

1. Mail flow: redirect MX and add newdomain.com to our exchange server. Create email policy
    2. Data migration:Option1 pst migration, create accts in ourdomain.com and import psts. Option 2 cross-forest migration (trust or untrust?) this takes care of creating accts/mailboxes
    3. Autodiscover. Obtain new UCC cert with our current mail.ourdomain.com and autodiscover.ourdomain.com domains and add mail.newdomain.com and autodiscover.newdomain.com.  This should allow autodiscover devices to find our server if I'm reading right.  However do I need to add SRV record for autodiscover for the newdomain? Or is cert all that is needed?
    Thursday, October 1, 2020 6:27 PM
  • For Exchange CAS services such OWA, EWS, OAB, only one FQDN should be used for their urls on one server. 

For Autodiscover, you can create A record for each domain.  If you want tp configure Autodiscover for multiple domains while using only a single name, you have to configure SRV records. For your reference: Exchange 2013, 2016 - Autodiscover with multiple domains and single name certificate.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Note: Exchange Server Development forum mainly discuss issues about Exchange development, and it's not monitored. Other TechNet Exchange sub-forums are migrated to Microsoft Q&A. We invite you to post new questions with related tags in the new forum.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 5, 2020 7:26 AM