Getting JIT debugging to work RRS feed

• Question

• Hey, I'm a complete newb to C++ and visual studio c++ express edition. I need to activate JIT debugging to get the Torque game engine to compile properly. Everywher I look it seems to say go to Tools>Options>Debugging and then enable JIT debugging. I don't have this option. Is this a feature that isn't in the 2005 express edition? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Saturday, April 15, 2006 3:21 PM

Answers

•  MMA_man wrote:
    Hey, I'm a complete newb to C++ and visual studio c++ express edition. I need to activate JIT debugging to get the Torque game engine to compile properly. Everywher I look it seems to say go to Tools>Options>Debugging and then enable JIT debugging. I don't have this option. Is this a feature that isn't in the 2005 express edition? Any help is greatly appreciated.

That option is only available in Visual Studio Express. From MSDN help:

[ JIT Debugging ] applies to:

Visual Studio Edition

Visual Basic

C#

C++

J#

Express

No

No

No

No

Standard

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Pro/Team

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

As an alternative, you can either use "Attach to Process", use Crash Dump debugging (Dr. Watson), or WinDbg.

However, I really doubt that you need to enable JIT debugging to get something to compile. Can you point me to a page which implies this?

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 11:49 AM

All replies

•  MMA_man wrote:
    Hey, I'm a complete newb to C++ and visual studio c++ express edition. I need to activate JIT debugging to get the Torque game engine to compile properly. Everywher I look it seems to say go to Tools>Options>Debugging and then enable JIT debugging. I don't have this option. Is this a feature that isn't in the 2005 express edition? Any help is greatly appreciated.

That option is only available in Visual Studio Express. From MSDN help:

[ JIT Debugging ] applies to:

Visual Studio Edition

Visual Basic

C#

C++

J#

Express

No

No

No

No

Standard

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Pro/Team

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

As an alternative, you can either use "Attach to Process", use Crash Dump debugging (Dr. Watson), or WinDbg.

However, I really doubt that you need to enable JIT debugging to get something to compile. Can you point me to a page which implies this?

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 11:49 AM
  • Thanks for the reply OShah. Torque compiles properly but I seem to encounter some problems when exiting it. A dialogue box appears which prompts me to enable JIT debugging in Visual Studio.
    Friday, April 28, 2006 11:55 AM
  • That's an assert failure, an indication of a bug in the code. The fact that it occurs when you exit it indicates heap corruption (or a failure in the C++ destructors/static variables). Did you try my suggestion of attaching to the process?

When the dialog appears, don't close it. Keep it open, and then start up Visual C++. Then in Visual C++, attach to the process (from the tools menu). Once you've done that, do a break all and then show us the callstack (Debug Menu -> Windows -> Call Stack). To quickly put the call stack in clipboard, you can right click it and select all, then copy.

Friday, April 28, 2006 3:26 PM