none
What does Suspended in Activity monitor mean RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

SQK Server 2008 R2

Looking at a task in activity monitor. It is suspended. I understand is still has work to do and is waiting on a wait reasource.

Does that mean it will resume or has it stopped?

Thanks

BiF

Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:29 AM

Answers

• Status Meaning
    Background The SPID is running a background task, such as deadlock detection.
    Sleeping The SPID is not currently executing. This usually indicates that the SPID is awaiting a command from the application.
    Running The SPID is currently running on a scheduler.
    Runnable The SPID is in the runnable queue of a scheduler and waiting to get scheduler time.
    Sos_scheduler_yield The SPID was running, but it has voluntarily yielded its time slice on the scheduler to allow another SPID to acquire scheduler time.
    Suspended The SPID is waiting for an event, such as a lock or a latch.
    Rollback The SPID is in rollback of a transaction.
    Defwakeup Indicates that the SPID is waiting for a resource that is in the process of being freed. The waitresource field should indicate the resource in question.

So it means that it is not stopped once the wait is cleared it will resume.

Regards, Ashwin Menon My Blog -> sqllearnings.wordpress.com
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:33 AM

All replies

• Status Meaning
    Background The SPID is running a background task, such as deadlock detection.
    Sleeping The SPID is not currently executing. This usually indicates that the SPID is awaiting a command from the application.
    Running The SPID is currently running on a scheduler.
    Runnable The SPID is in the runnable queue of a scheduler and waiting to get scheduler time.
    Sos_scheduler_yield The SPID was running, but it has voluntarily yielded its time slice on the scheduler to allow another SPID to acquire scheduler time.
    Suspended The SPID is waiting for an event, such as a lock or a latch.
    Rollback The SPID is in rollback of a transaction.
    Defwakeup Indicates that the SPID is waiting for a resource that is in the process of being freed. The waitresource field should indicate the resource in question.

So it means that it is not stopped once the wait is cleared it will resume.

Regards, Ashwin Menon My Blog -> sqllearnings.wordpress.com
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:33 AM
  • Hi
    SQK Server 2008 R2
    Looking at a task in activity monitor. It is suspended. I understand is still has work to do and is waiting on a wait reasource.
    Does that mean it will resume or has it stopped?

Thanks
    BiF

It is waiting for resource. Have a look at wait resource and wait type column.
    Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/blakhani
    Team Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverfaq
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:39 AM
  • Thanks Guys

Wait type = Pageiolatch_sh  (which I understand to mean the latch request is in shared mode).

then the wait type changes to IO_COMPLETION (which I understand is waiting for IO to complete)

OK What does that mean ? 

Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:08 AM
  • Query is doing IO from the disk.
    Look at the query is doing lots of IO (may be scan?) or disk is slow.

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    My Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/blakhani
    Team Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverfaq
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:11 AM