none
Strong Naming and Microsoft.Azure.ActiveDirectory.GraphClient RRS feed

• Question

• I hope there are no stupid questions...

I am writing an application that uses the latest Microsoft.Azure.ActiveDirectory.GraphClient and it complains the library doesn't have a strong name. I know about strong naming but I can't see how I can strong name this library and add it to the GAC etc as MS have provided it. Obviously I lack some concepts here as this seems like it should be simple.

Any help much appreciated, Cameron

• Edited by Shanty Man Saturday, November 26, 2016 8:40 AM
    Saturday, November 26, 2016 8:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Shanty Man,

This is the .NET Client Library for Microsoft Azure Active Directory Graph API and it is published by Nuget. Here is the link.

https://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.Azure.ActiveDirectory.GraphClient/

As far as I know, all dlls come from Nuget not always strong-named. I would suggest you use SN tool, you'll tell whether an Assembly/DLL has been successfully strong-named using the Strong Name Tool (sn.exe) (which can be found somewhere like here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v10.0A\bin\NETFX 4.6 Tools\sn.exe) by running the following at the command line:

C:\> sn -v C:\WINDOWS\ismif32.dll
    Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Strong Name Utility  Version 4.0.30128.1
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
    C:\WINDOWS\ismif32.dll does not represent a strongly named assembly

>>I know about strong naming but I can't see how I can strong name this library and add it to the GAC etc as MS have provided it. Obviously I lack some concepts here as this seems like it should be simple.

You can strong-name assemblies by using Visual Studio or a command-line tool. For more information, see How to: Sign an Assembly with a Strong Name or Sn.exe (Strong Name Tool). Only strong-named assemblies can be installed into the GAC.

Some strong name concepts, I would suggest you refer to Strong-Named Assemblies

Global Assembly Cache

How to: Install an Assembly into the Global Assembly Cache

Best regards,

Kristin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Shanty Man Tuesday, November 29, 2016 4:35 AM
    Monday, November 28, 2016 3:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Shanty Man,

This is the .NET Client Library for Microsoft Azure Active Directory Graph API and it is published by Nuget. Here is the link.

https://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.Azure.ActiveDirectory.GraphClient/

As far as I know, all dlls come from Nuget not always strong-named. I would suggest you use SN tool, you'll tell whether an Assembly/DLL has been successfully strong-named using the Strong Name Tool (sn.exe) (which can be found somewhere like here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v10.0A\bin\NETFX 4.6 Tools\sn.exe) by running the following at the command line:

C:\> sn -v C:\WINDOWS\ismif32.dll
    Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Strong Name Utility  Version 4.0.30128.1
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
    C:\WINDOWS\ismif32.dll does not represent a strongly named assembly

>>I know about strong naming but I can't see how I can strong name this library and add it to the GAC etc as MS have provided it. Obviously I lack some concepts here as this seems like it should be simple.

You can strong-name assemblies by using Visual Studio or a command-line tool. For more information, see How to: Sign an Assembly with a Strong Name or Sn.exe (Strong Name Tool). Only strong-named assemblies can be installed into the GAC.

Some strong name concepts, I would suggest you refer to Strong-Named Assemblies

Global Assembly Cache

How to: Install an Assembly into the Global Assembly Cache

Best regards,

Kristin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Shanty Man Tuesday, November 29, 2016 4:35 AM
    Monday, November 28, 2016 3:01 AM
  • Thanks, Kristin. I have been able to give it a strong name. Would there be any problem packaging up this dll and distributing it? Why would MS release a dll that we need to sign in order to use in serious development?
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 4:38 AM
  • Yep, I'm also interested in if this will violate the library license?

The additional drawback of this approach is that this will invalidate the library's Authenticode signature from Microsoft.

I'm aware that the library is old, and is for AAD Graph API, which is to be replaced by Microsoft Graph API, but currently the MS Graph lacks some features of AAD Graph, which I need.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 5:00 PM