FAQ on App Service Certificates and Custom Domains RRS feed

• General discussion

• The following highlights some common questions and answers about App Service Certificates and custom domains in Azure App Service.

App Service Certificates

Can I export my App Service certificate for use with other Azure services such as Cloud Services and so forth?

We've gotten a lot of feedback from customers asking for this ability, so we now allow you to export your certificate as a PFX file so that you can use it across multiple subscriptions and Azure services. See this blog post for more information. 

Can I export my App Service certificate to be used outside of Azure, such as for a website hosted elsewhere?

App Service certificates are to be considered Azure resources and are not intended for use outside of your Azure services. You cannot export them for use outside of Azure.

Can I use my App Service certificate in a different subscription in Azure?

You can migrate your App Service Certificate within the Azure portal. You can also export it as a PFX file for use in another subscription. See this blog post for more information. 

I have a Free or a DreamSpark Azure subscription. Can I purchase an App Service certificate with my credits?

Because Free and DreamSpark Azure credits are free credits, they cannot be used to purchase App Service certificates.

Can I get a refund if I purchase an SSL certificate and then decide that I no longer need it?

Unfortunately, we cannot refund you on the purchase of an SSL certificate.

I've purchased a certificate, but when I try to add a binding using it, I don't see it. What can I do?

This is a known issue that we are working on fixing. Right now, you must close the Certificates blade and reopen it in order to add a binding.

Custom Domains

Do I have to pay for privacy protection for my domain?

When you purchase a domain through the Azure portal, you can choose to add privacy at no additional cost. This is one of the benefits of purchasing your domain through Azure App Service.

If I decide I no longer want my domain, can I get my money back?

When you purchase a domain, you are not charged for a period of 5 days, during which time you can decide that you do not want the domain. If you do decide you don't want the domain within that 5-day period, you will not be charged. (.uk domains are an exception to this. If you purchase a .uk domain, you will be charged immediately and you cannot be refunded.)

Do I have to configure my custom domain for my website once I buy it?

When you purchase a domain from the Azure portal, the App Service application is automatically configured to use that custom domain. You don't have to take any additional steps.

Can I use the domain in another Azure App Service app in my subscription?

Yes. When you access the Custom Domains and SSL blade in the Azure portal, you will see any domains that you have purchased and you can configure your app to use any of those domains.

Can I transfer a domain from one subscription to another subscription?

Yes, you can, but it requires you to open a support case. In the future, we plan on providing this capability without opening a support case.

How can I manage my custom domain if I don't currently have an Azure App Service app that is not a free app?

In order to use or manage a custom domain purchased through the Azure portal, you will need to have an Azure App Service application (a Web App, Mobile App, API App, or a Function App) that is running in any non-free SKU. (Custom domains are not available for free apps.)

Can I use a domain purchased in the Azure portal to point to an Azure IaaS VM instead? 

While it is technically possible to do so by pointing your domain to the VM using the "Advanced Management" interface, it is not a supported scenario and you will not have tight integration for your domain management. Additionally, you will still be required to have at least one Web App running so that you can access the Advanced Management interface. Keep in mind that this is not the way that custom domains purchased within the portal are designed to operate.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Thursday, May 5, 2016 12:40 PM

All replies

• Is there a way to change privacy protection settings after purchasing the domain?
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 6:57 AM
  • BTW, this is the current home of the blog linked under "Can I use my App Service certificate in a different subscription in Azure?"

https://azure.github.io/AppService/2017/02/24/Creating-a-local-PFX-copy-of-App-Service-Certificate.html

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 6:30 AM