none
.NET Framework versions on Windows server 2016 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows server 2016 Standard.

In Add roles and features wizard it shows .NET framework 4.6 and ASP.NET 4.6 installed.

But in registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\microsoft\NET Framework Setup it shows  .net framework 4.0 is installed.

In Control panel : View installed updates it does not show .NET Framework 4.6

If .NET Framework is not installed why is it showing installed in roles and features  for WEB Server .

Is .NET Framework 4.6 installed  or NOT ?  What version of .NET Framework comes by default in Windows server 2016 standard ?

If I install NET Framework now do I need to uninstall .NET Framework 4.0 

Thanks !

Saturday, December 15, 2018 6:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Jhingle,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

• Windows Server 2016 (all editions) includes the .NET Framework 4.6.2 as an OS component, and it is installed by default except in the Server Core configuration.  It also includes the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 as an OS component that is not installed by default.  The .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 can be added or removed via the Server Manager.

The .net 4.6.2 as a component in your server so that don’t show in control panel, you can check this Docs: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/migration-guide/how-to-determine-which-versions-are-installed#to-find-net-framework-versions-by-viewing-the-registry-net-framework-45-and-later to determine what version of .net on your server is.

And you don’t need to uninstall any version .net from your server, because .net 4.0 and later used same CLR version (4.0) and it is backward compatibility.

Hope my answer would help you.

Sincerely

May

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, December 17, 2018 5:38 AM
  • Hi Jhingle,

Sorry to trouble you and I just want to confirm that your issue is solved or not?

If you think my reply is helpful, could you please mark it as answer and that will help other community members who have the same issue to easier search this information, then we can also help you close this thread,

thank you for your understanding.

May

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 1, 2019 8:01 AM