ASP.NET 4 precompilation problems RRS feed

• Question

• User-177209433 posted

Hello!

We used ASP.NET precompilation (first manually, then with VS2008 WDP) with .NET 3.5 almost (see below) successfully.

After we moved to 4.0, the precompilation no longer works properly. The precompilation process itself succeeds, and the website works, but it consumes about twice the CPU it does without any precompilation. We use non-updatable precompilation (so webpages get compiled completely).

Our internal profiling tells us that most of the threads spend their time within variations of the following stack:

System.Web.dll!System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultFromCacheInternal(System.Web.VirtualPath virtualPath, bool ensureIsUpToDate) + 0xa2 bytes 
      System.Web.dll!System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(System.Web.VirtualPath virtualPath, bool noBuild, bool allowCrossApp, bool allowBuildInPrecompile, bool throwIfNotFound, bool ensureIsUpToDate) + 0x5b bytes 
      System.Web.dll!System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(System.Web.HttpContext context, System.Web.VirtualPath virtualPath, bool noBuild, bool allowCrossApp, bool allowBuildInPrecompile, bool throwIfNotFound, bool ensureIsUpToDate) + 0xcb bytes 
      System.Web.dll!System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResult(System.Web.HttpContext context, System.Web.VirtualPath virtualPath, bool noBuild, bool allowCrossApp, bool allowBuildInPrecompile, bool ensureIsUpToDate) + 0x87 bytes 

It appears that master page (and possibly controls) internal caching is broken in precompiled web sites, leading to reloading of master pages and from precompiled assemblies.

We really would like to use precompilation to enjoy smoother deployments, but since this is a high-load (hundreds of managed requests per second) website and going from 40-50% overall CPU per 8-core machine to 90+% CPU on the same machine is unacceptable.

Also, VS2010 WDP still does not preserve empty directories that contained only controls and master pages in the original projects, leading to loads of "Failed to start monitoring" exceptions when output caching is enabled for any page that contains precompiled controls (these exceptions are handled internally, but still incur a performance penalty). Since we had this problem in 3.5 also, we continued to use our MSBuild code that created empty directories for controls and master pages. This removes the exceptions, but I doubt that generating an exception for each control that is being used in a page with enabled output caching is acceptable performance-wise (exception stack trace below).

> System.Web.dll!System.Web.Caching.CacheDependency.Init(bool isPublic, string[] filenamesArg, string[] cachekeysArg, System.Web.Caching.CacheDependency dependency, System.DateTime utcStart) + 0xb0c bytes 
      System.Web.dll!System.Web.Hosting.MapPathBasedVirtualPathProvider.GetCacheDependency(string virtualPath, System.Collections.IEnumerable virtualPathDependencies, System.DateTime utcStart) + 0x1aa bytes 
      System.Web.dll!System.Web.ResponseDependencyList.CreateCacheDependency(System.Web.CacheDependencyType dependencyType, System.Web.Caching.CacheDependency dependency) + 0x244 bytes 
      System.Web.dll!System.Web.HttpResponse.CreateCacheDependencyForResponse() + 0x57 bytes 
      System.Web.dll!System.Web.Caching.OutputCacheModule.OnLeave(object source, System.EventArgs eventArgs) + 0x708 bytes 

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:41 AM

Answers

• User398855007 posted

As I said I have a high-volume website, approx 100 requests per second, i use precomp + merge. I've staved off the upgrade, I just can't risk having that kind of issue on a production server. Probably best to wait 6 months, and let the packs / updates / google info develop.

Cheers,

Frank.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 11:53 AM

All replies

• User398855007 posted

Did you manage to solve this? I've got a similarly high-load website and am mid-way upgrading to v4...

Thursday, August 5, 2010 6:12 AM
  • User-177209433 posted

Not yet, I've posted the problem to MS Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/582066/asp-net-4-precompilation-and-performance-problems

If you aren't using precompilation it works just fine.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 11:03 AM
  • User398855007 posted

As I said I have a high-volume website, approx 100 requests per second, i use precomp + merge. I've staved off the upgrade, I just can't risk having that kind of issue on a production server. Probably best to wait 6 months, and let the packs / updates / google info develop.

Cheers,

Frank.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 11:53 AM