Looking for the best way to distribute my application with the .Net Framework over the Web RRS feed

• Question

• I have a commercial application distributed purely over the Web, an eval upgrade to Visual Studio 2005 was relatively painless, so now I'm considering a real move to .Net 2.0.

The problem is that my users will have to download a new framework. It appears that there are a couple of approaches I could take:

1) use the new setup bootstraper - this would be the best approach as I already have a WiX based .msi installer. Unfortunately I can't seem to configure the setup bootstraper to download the MSI from the Web.

2) Use Clickonce - this is tempting but it appears that I'll need to do significant more evaluation to make sure my application works with the licensing toolkit and Clickonce. One problem with Clickonce is the full trust dialog - in this day being explicitly asked to trust an application over the Web is a lot scarier for users then implicitly trusting an application via an installed MSI.

3) Use Clickonce to install the MSI.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--Scott W.

Monday, October 31, 2005 5:04 PM

Answers