Media Foundation MFT's support on GeForce GTS 450 GPU?? RRS feed

• Question

• I have got a sample application which transform MPEG-4 to WMV format video.

Application creates a topology and this topology adds MFTs for transformation. When i run this application of GPU(GeForce GTS 450 ) machine i dont see any CPU offloading. CPU percentage usage is same for GPU enabled and non-GPU machine.

Please suggest what could be the reason? I checked all the MFTs, they dont have any D3D device service support, means no DXVA support, please correct if i am wrong.

Please advice me the way I can use GPU for such an application.

Looking for your support.

Friday, September 9, 2011 4:04 AM

All replies

• None of the shipped encoders for MF use hardware-based encoding, for any format. You'd have to create your own MFT which does hardware encoding. If you are looking at using nVidia products specifically, you'd be best off doing a CUDA based WMV encoder. This means you'll have to do everything yourself and from scratch.

There could already be a WMV encoder that's been developed for CUDA. I know there's already a CUDA based H.264 encoder done by Media Look.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 7:09 AM
  • Thanks Nobby for your reply.

Does it mean we don't even have hardware decoding also in the shipped decoder for MF?

or to offload CPU for Media Foundation application i need to develop my own MFT?
    Monday, September 12, 2011 6:17 AM
  • Hardware decoding is completely different. For example, nVidia drivers provide MF with a hardware H.264 decoder MFT. You'd have to look up whether or not ATI & nVidia do WMV hardware decoding.
    Monday, September 12, 2011 11:35 AM