none
Microsoft Office Document Imaging Printer Missing in Office 2007 (RFP) (86)

Question

• Can anyone tell me how to install Microsoft Office Document Imaging Printer in Office 2007 (RFP).  Although the Imaging program installs, the Printer does not, and the Microsoft Office 2007 Professional (86) Installer say that it is not an available feature.
    Thursday, November 23, 2006 3:56 PM

Answers

• Here's a response that was posted on the Office discussion boards:

Uninstall and then reinstall the MODI printer driver feature
    using your Office 2003 CD.  Instructions courtesy of Windows MVP
    Carey Frisch:
         1.  Close all running applications. If you have any Office
    application running, the driver will not be installed properly.
         2.  Go to "Control Panel" and "Add or Remove Programs".
         3.  Click on "Microsoft Office 2003" and then click on "Change".
         4.  Check "Add or Remove Features" and click "Next".
         5.  On the bottom of the page check "Choose advanced
    customization of applications." and click "Next".
         6.  Under Microsoft Office click on the + sign in front of
    "Office Tools"
         7.  Locate the object "Microsoft Office Document Imaging",
    click the icon and select "Not Available".
         8.  Click on "Update". This will uninstall the MODI driver.
         9.  Repeat steps 1 to 6 to go back to the same location you
    were before.
         10.  Locate the object "Microsoft Office Document Imaging",
    click the icon and select "Run from My Computer".
         11.  Click on "Update".

If this doesn't work for you, you'll need to contact the beta support team as mainstream support doesn't handle beta questions.

-brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

Monday, November 27, 2006 5:23 PM

All replies

• Here's a response that was posted on the Office discussion boards:

Uninstall and then reinstall the MODI printer driver feature
    using your Office 2003 CD.  Instructions courtesy of Windows MVP
    Carey Frisch:
         4.  Check "Add or Remove Features" and click "Next".
         5.  On the bottom of the page check "Choose advanced
    customization of applications." and click "Next".
         6.  Under Microsoft Office click on the + sign in front of
    "Office Tools"
         7.  Locate the object "Microsoft Office Document Imaging",
    click the icon and select "Not Available".
         8.  Click on "Update". This will uninstall the MODI driver.
         9.  Repeat steps 1 to 6 to go back to the same location you
    were before.
         10.  Locate the object "Microsoft Office Document Imaging",
    click the icon and select "Run from My Computer".
         11.  Click on "Update".

If this doesn't work for you, you'll need to contact the beta support team as mainstream support doesn't handle beta questions.

-brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

Monday, November 27, 2006 5:23 PM
  • Thank you this solution worked for me!
    Monday, January 22, 2007 8:08 PM
  • My situation is a bit different - I have the Office XP disc, and used Office 2003 only as a free trial from my new computer.  I tried the Office 2007 Beta and as a result had to delete all Office 2003 references in the registry and elsewhere before Office 2007 trial would install.  So now, since the Document Imaging wasn't part of my Office XP, I can't use the solution posted.  Anywhere else I can solve it?

Thanks.

Sunday, January 28, 2007 1:26 AM
  • Sounds great, but that might work for Office 2003.... but the question here is for Office **2007**, in which case Office 2003 is no longer installed!
    Friday, June 22, 2007 5:32 AM
  • The answer is the same as 2003

Thursday, August 23, 2007 2:18 AM
  • The answer given here for is one who is having MS Office 2003. Let me know the answer for MS Office 2007 for Windows XP SP2.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 3:16 AM
  • Solution above works for Office 2007 also.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 9:58 AM
  • I think the confusion people are having is resulting from the comment regarding having an Office 2003 CD. If you perform the following, you can install Document Imaging for Office 2007 (which is essentially the same steps noted above for Office 2003).

To resolve this issue, install the Microsoft Office Document Imaging program. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
    2. In the Currently installed programs list, click the 2007 Office version that you have installed.
    3. Click Change.
    4. Click Add or Remove features, and then click Continue.
    5. Expand Office Tools.
    6. Click Microsoft Office Document Imaging, and then click Run all from My Computer.
    7. Click Continue.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 1:46 PM
  • Hello everyone!
    My problem is like above, installed the Office 2007 without MS Office Document Imaging, but took the install disk again and re-install the missing component, and got a printer named Microsoft Office Document Image Printer. I have tried to print a document by this printer, selected the location of the mdi file in a window, then nothing was happened. No file created on this folder and I don't now why.
    Has anyone idea for this incomprehensible problem? Please anyone tell me how can I get to operate this document printer! It is important for my work
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:21 PM
  • I needed the tool for the OCR capability and had not tried what you are attempting. I opened an existing word document, clicked the print icon, selected Microsoft Office Document Image Writer as the printer, selected my desktop as the "SaveAs" location, then clicked the Save button. I should note that the only type of file I am able to generate is a TIFF file. But, it did generate a file with all pages intact which I was able open and view in the MODI tool.

Was your example document an Office document (.doc, .xls, etc.). If not, maybe the driver can only interprest MS formats.

Did it contain any data? Maybe it won't generate a file if the source is empty.

Did you click the final Save button after selecting the location to save the file? I assume so, but you didn't explicitly indcate so in your post.

If it was a MS Office document with data and you did click the save button, then I'm out of ideas.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:46 PM
  • When I click change nothing happens. The Enterprise setup dialouge box appears for about two seconds, then disappears and nothing else happens. I need this printer to be able to accept internet faxes.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 4:41 AM
  • Thank you !!!  I just recently installed Office 2007 (July of 2008) to replace Office 2003 and was very unhappy to discover that the image writer was disabled as a result of this upgrade.  Your instructions from you 2006 post regarding how to restore the application were excellent.  This process restored the Image Writer for me.... for which I am very grateful.  I love to use it as an alternative to paper and would be lost without the capability.

It is Excellent as well that I was able to find this post  given that the solution was authored in 2006.

Kudus !

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 8:34 PM
  • What if you dont have 2003 Office?

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:23 PM
  • I did that and the MODI works but the printer isnt there?

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:33 PM
  • Worked GREAT for Windows XP with Office 2007!! THANKS!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 10:13 PM
  •  

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927383

The Microsoft Office Document Image Writer printer driver and the OneNote 2007 printer driver in Word 2007 and in OneNote 2007 are not installed on a computer that is running a 64-bit operating system

Hope this helps people that were looking for 64 bit issues and landed on this thread.

Note that this applies to ONLY 64 bit, not to x86

Duray Akar

• Proposed as answer by Lucas1024 Friday, June 4, 2010 4:21 PM
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 11:41 AM
  • Dude, you are the absolute man. You just saved me about 2 days worth of work. God knows I hate starting over. I almost started looking for an equivalent application to replace Document Imaging. I even started to save my pages in an alternate method that would have taken twice the time than to just use Document Imaging (alternate method meaning saving web pages as Entire HTML Documents which creates an additional folder with supporting files in it). In the process of this forum with your instructions I easily made the coversion and was able to read my previous files. I thought they were lost to identification. Thank you so much for your talent. I just have one question though, why type the appwiz.cpl when you can just click start, control panel, add/remove programs, make your Microsoft office selection and then go from there? Will it affect the configuration process any? Forgive me if I seem simple minded, but small things in computing make all the difference in the world. In either case, thanks again. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 10:55 PM
  • Man does this save me much headache, too bad it took me like days to find this thread/info.  Does anyone know if there are plans to support the MODI printer with Vista 64bit in the future?

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 8:14 PM
  • Excellent.  Thanks for the instructions.
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 1:09 AM
  • I'm sorry if I'm being a Rock and asking a dumb question but am I understanding correctly that if I have a 64 bit PC with Windows Vista and MS Office 2007 that I can't install the Microsoft Office Document Imaging Writer Printer on my PC?  If this is not correct, how do I get it installed?  If this is correct, does anyone have an alternative that will provide conversion of any printable document to TIFF format?
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 7:02 AM
  • On my computer, Office 2007 is not listed in the add and remove programs list, therefor I cannot activate Document Imaging. I was able to remove Office 2007 with a tutorial on the Microsoft website, and it wasn't easy. Then when I reinstalled Office 2007, it is still not listed in the add and remove programs list. It is installed, I use it frequently, but I cannot activate Document Imaging, because it's not listed in add and remove programs. Is there an alternate way to activate document imaging?
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 11:33 PM
  • I need to ask the same question too. But this for Office XP Standar. Can we
    install Document Image Writer printer for Office XP? I've tried so many times
    these steps:
    1. Go to add/remove program
    2. Click on Office XP -> change -> add/remove feature -> office tools
    3. Click on Document Imaging -> run on my computer -> update

But it doesn't work because the Document Image Writer still not appear in my
    printer list. I also try to repair it, but still doesn't work. Btw, I can't
    see + sign next to Office Document Imaging.
    Is Document Image Writer is not avalaible for Office XP?

Saturday, May 16, 2009 4:07 PM
  • Hi Zipperhead!

I think you may be correct in your understanding regarding Microsoft Document Imaging (.mdi) and Windows Vista 64-bit OS. I have been trying to figure out how to add the MDI program to my printers with Windows Vista 64-bit OS, but have been unsuccessful. I have tried ALL the suggestions posted on several forums including this one, which also suggests installing/re-installing the program and having it "Run From My Computer." Therefore, it does appear that if your computer is running on a Vista 64-bit OS, you cannot add Microsoft Document Imaging to your printers. However, you do have the option to use Microsoft XPS Document Writer which kind of works like the MDI program and should be available on your computer if you have Microsoft Vista. The only problem is that you won't be able to open this document (.xps) from a computer that doesn't run on Vista.

A suggestion was made on another forum about downloading PDF Creator.  I believe this is a free online program you can download that will allow you the capability of creating a document where you can print a document to your file/hard drive like the MDI.  Only problem is... I tried it and have encountered problems with it. You can try this option as it appears to be a successful alternative to others.

In the meantime, I'm still trying to figure out how to install/add Microsoft Document Imaging as a printer to my computer that runs on Microsoft Vista 64-bit OS. I don't like the XPS Document Writer that it has because you cannot open this document on another computer running on an operating system other than Vista. Any help on this matter by ANYONE would be greatly appreciated. Best of luck Zipperhead!
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 10:07 AM
  • I've done all this and still cannot read MDI files generated in WORD 2003.  The files open ok, but I see only gibberish.

I am running Vista Ultimate 64bit SP2 and from later in this chain, I realize I can't use the MDI PRINTER, but can I at least read my old files?  Do I need the printer driver to READ the files?
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 3:44 AM
  • No you don't need the printer driver to read the files if they are TIF files.  The built in Fax viewer will bring them up as will a very nice free for non commercial use program called IrfanView.

Friday, October 2, 2009 3:58 AM
  • MS ISV Buddy Team Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medalsdid not work for me. I have vista word 2007. went back to tools and doc. im. was not there. I can use this feature in onenote
    Friday, October 16, 2009 12:21 AM
  • I'm having a heck of a time myself. I'm running OneNote 2007 on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Uninstalling & Reinistalling MOBI didn't make a difference. No "Send to one Note" printer exists. I was really hoping Windows 7 was going to fix this problem (was on Vista Ultimate 64).

The IE (8) "Send to OneNote" does send a page to OneNote, but it's basically just an ugly text dump without any formatting except for crlf's. And unlike previous versions, there's no accompanying "Send to OneNote Settings" in IE/Tools/.

I tried to do a restore (I accidentally whack XPS trying to fix this), and I noticed that kb950130 had been installed then uninstalled by other updates. This is because when I checked the impacts, it showed kb950130 would be re-added (which means it had been installed, then was removed after the restore point was created).

There are a lot of kludgey work-around tools out there such as the pdfwriter approach, but so far none has worked. I was using the Zan Printer driver when on Vista, but I lost all the info when I upgraded to 7 (there were a lot of settings like the pdfwriter approach, I just don't remember them--I'm going to find the original web page that walked me through the first time hopefully).

We really need an option that lets us poke things into onenote as RTF, too. A happy middle point between a TIFF and text-only...

Has anyone else had this issue on Windows 7-64?
    Monday, November 2, 2009 5:37 AM
  • Great instructions.... never realized office 2007 did not include iMicrosoft Office Document Imaging application in the tools folder until today.  Thanks for the post. The install worked perfectly.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:08 AM
  • Have you tried using the snipping tool?  It will basically do a screen capture and save it as a jpg, png or a couple of other formats.  I did like the functionality of the MODI printer, but i have found this useful.  It should have come installed on your machine.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 11:10 PM
  • I have a workaround that is annoying but it works.  For 64 bit users, the image writer can be installed in a virtual machine, such as Virtual PC or Sun's free Virtualbox.

I used the XP Mode in Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and was able to install and use the 2003 image writer.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:45 PM
  • If you intend to send fax es, more easy would be to download and install Popfax.com printer driver which you can use to send faxes directly from Microsoft Word, it converts documents to fax format and sends them via Internet, hope you will find it useful,
    best regards!
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Please add me to the list of folks with this problem! My client is using Windows 7 (64bit) and is used to (at a previous office) using MODI to produce .TIFF files from Quickbooks.  Could someone (ideally from MicroSoft) explain why "this feature is diabled by design?"

Thanks,

Scott
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:35 PM
  • thank you Eracer22, your method works for my system. and most important it is very easy! thank you!
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:45 AM
  • Can anyone tell me how can I have two MODI printer with different settings. We need one with default setting, and another one set up to save tif file to a certain folder with fixed file name.

I tried it and it did not work. Can anyone try if you can set up 2nd printer with different setting?

Thanks

Jordan Guo

jordan_guo@wsib.on.ca

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:05 PM
  • Can anyone tell me how to install Microsoft Office Document Imaging Printer in Office 2007 (RFP).  Although the Imaging program installs, the Printer does not, and the Microsoft Office 2007 Professional (86) Installer say that it is not an available feature.

dear sir/mam,

iam using windows 7 and office 2007 , iwnat open mdi file but icant open mdi file how to install Microsoft Office Document Imaging ....

Friday, July 2, 2010 1:15 PM
  • SHAME SHAME SHAME on Microsoft that they do not support their own 64 bit system in MODI writer printer.

They left their x64 migrating customers without support

Shame, WTF  is "This is by design" mesage !?!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927383

Monday, August 2, 2010 8:43 AM
  • Success: Windows 7 64-bit tif file creation.

Here's the interesting thing: I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and I can use a workaround with the fax printer driver. I print to the fax printer driver, hit cancel at the next screen, then I get an email-like message with a tif of my printout attached as a file. It's low quality (probably 75 dpi) but it works.

Now I *really* don't understand Microsoft. If this capability is clearly available for Windows 7 64-bit machines, why couldn't Microsoft enable higher resolutions -- or why did they *disable* higher resolutions? I guess they figure that if you save a bunch of xps files, you won't switch to Apple or Linux. 

Does anyone know of a program that can move pages within xps documents and from 1 xps document to another? If I had that capability, I'd be happy.

Friday, August 27, 2010 12:13 PM
  • Now I *really* don't understand Microsoft. If this capability is clearly available for Windows 7 64-bit machines, why couldn't Microsoft enable higher resolutions -- or why did they *disable* higher resolutions? I guess they figure that if you save a bunch of xps files, you won't switch to Apple or Linux. 

It's even worse. I have around 10000 mdi files (all my post over 5 years), now I made the switch to Windows 7 64bit and MsOffice 2010, I can't even open/read these documents anymore.
    Florisz, WHS, XP NL/EN SP3, Windows Media Center, Win7, Pocket Loox with 2003SE and Samsung SGH-i600 with WM 6.5
    Monday, October 25, 2010 6:33 AM
  • I did above as noted on my Windows 7 Office 2007 and I have the imaging program, but apparently not the printer driver.  When I go to print, the Microsoft Office Document Imaging is not listed as a printer.  How do I install it as a printer to be used with other programs?

Thank you in advance.

Monday, October 25, 2010 5:05 PM
  • The above did work for me.  However the Microsoft Office Document Imaging is not showing up as a printer.  How do I add it?  Tried adding as a printer, but it is not listed under Microsoft.  Do I need a printer driver or something?  Can you step me thru adding it as a printer?

Thank you in advance!

Monday, October 25, 2010 5:07 PM
  • I have read numerous threads on this forum regarding problems with Microsoft Office Document Imaging not functioning properly with upgrades.  We recently upgraded to Windows 7, Office 2007 and I have tried EVERYTHING I have read on here to get full functionality of  Microsoft Office Document Imaging and nothing has worked.  1st off, it is not installed by default, 2nd... once it is installed, it does not work properly or at all.  Shame on Microsoft for disabling a perfectly functiong program that seemed to be used by many!  Neither Adobe or XPS Document Viewer have the editing capabilities that MODI had.  Would love to have it work properly with our new setup.

I have installed MODI on my Windows 7 and can open the program, but have tried everything to add as a printer and it is not listed in available printers no matter what I do.  However, it is not going to work properly as I have read on here, please just tell me the solution is to just forget MODI and move on.

Thanks!

Lori Frantz
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 3:21 PM
  • This response eraser22 was EXACTLY what I was looking for!  Thank you!!!
    Friday, November 26, 2010 8:03 PM
  • Carey's solution did not work for me, until I made a change to her process:
         4.  Click on Reinstall or Repair

That did it for me.

Saturday, December 18, 2010 1:59 AM
  • Thank you very much for helping me out. Worked like a charm :)
    • Proposed as answer by pbriya Friday, February 25, 2011 2:05 PM
    Friday, February 25, 2011 2:05 PM
  • Success: Windows 7 64-bit tif file creation.

Here's the interesting thing: I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and I can use a workaround with the fax printer driver. I print to the fax printer driver, hit cancel at the next screen, then I get an email-like message with a tif of my printout attached as a file. It's low quality (probably 75 dpi) but it works.

Now I *really* don't understand Microsoft. If this capability is clearly available for Windows 7 64-bit machines, why couldn't Microsoft enable higher resolutions -- or why did they *disable* higher resolutions? I guess they figure that if you save a bunch of xps files, you won't switch to Apple or Linux. 

Does anyone know of a program that can move pages within xps documents and from 1 xps document to another? If I had that capability, I'd be happy.

You can do it easier by printing to the fax and checking the print to file box, select the save as type "all files" and name the file with a .tif extension.  Not high quality, but it works in a single step.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 3:46 PM
  • I did not have the exact problem as the other users but I used the Brenda's (ISV Buddy Team) idea to fix my own problem.  Good job!
    So Many Men, So Little Time
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 12:25 PM
  • Thank you this worked perfectly. I am addicted to using document imaging instead of printing docs and was floored when I just realized it was gone. Nothing in M.O. 2007 mentioned that it would delete M.O.D.Imaging from 2003 and not reinstall with 2007. That's crazy man!

So I'm running XP and just upgraded to 2007. Don't like 2010 so I found a place to get 2007 inexpensively.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:18 PM