none
Tracing Program Flow RRS feed

• Question

• I'm seeking advice on how to trace program flow in a SB program.

As a learning tool I am trying to convert a QBasic program to SB.  Problem I have is that it uses a lot of variables none of which are documented and has no documented flow with Gosub's and Goto's flowing all over the place making it quite difficult to understand the program flow.

I've tried using the LDDev.Debug function but as the program has errors and will not compile the debugger doesn't assist.  The only option I can see is the extract parts of the code to a separate test file and debug each bit as I go although this doesn't necessarily assist with the overall flow of the program.

Before extracting and testing each bit of the program I wanted to ask for guidance on this matter as there may be SB functions or other utilities that will assist. I presume this is an age old problem with any programming and so must have been solved in the past.

Regards,

Chris

Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:24 AM

Answers

• Chris,

I have two suggestions.  The first is to draw flow chart of the program.  The chart will help you to understand the program.  The second is to use "Graduation" and Visual Studio debugger.  I wrote an article about that here

Nonki Takahashi

• Marked as answer by Franganistan Thursday, June 13, 2013 9:41 AM
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 8:17 AM

All replies

• Chris,

I have two suggestions.  The first is to draw flow chart of the program.  The chart will help you to understand the program.  The second is to use "Graduation" and Visual Studio debugger.  I wrote an article about that here

Nonki Takahashi

• Marked as answer by Franganistan Thursday, June 13, 2013 9:41 AM
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 8:17 AM
  • Nonki,

Thanks.  Have taken a copy of the article and will use as I debug.

Tks - Chris

Thursday, June 13, 2013 9:41 AM