Memory Usage of Local Session Manager Service with MF RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to understand the use and nature of this process.  It's been started by WinInit and runs under SYSTEM.

The reason why i'm interested in this process is that I have noticed that the memory usage (private bytes) keeps going up while my application is running.  The private bytes also does not come down after the application exits.

What is also interesting is that I can recreate the same situation using straight up samples from the Vista SDK 1.0.  I used the playlist and basic playback samples.  I've also noticed the same behavior when using Media Player which if I'm correct uses MF.  If I start up Media Player, play a song and start skipping songs, the private bytes goes up by anywhere from 264k to 1 M every time I skip songs.

Anyway, it would be good understand what makes the memory of this process go up and more importantly not go down.

Thanks!

Monday, January 29, 2007 7:55 PM

Answers

• There is apparently a known issue in an audio driver that causes this run-up in memory usage, and it's being actively investigated.  It's likely that you're hitting this, since it sounds very similar. 

What audio driver do you have?

BTW, lsm.exe is part of Terminal Services. 

Thursday, February 1, 2007 5:33 PM

All replies

• There is apparently a known issue in an audio driver that causes this run-up in memory usage, and it's being actively investigated.  It's likely that you're hitting this, since it sounds very similar. 

What audio driver do you have?

BTW, lsm.exe is part of Terminal Services. 

Thursday, February 1, 2007 5:33 PM
  • Mortly the USB Audio driver but there is also a Creative SB X-Fi (6.0.1.1261 from creative).

Marc

Thursday, February 1, 2007 11:35 PM
  • We found a company that makes a USB driver we could potentially use (http://www.usb-audio.com/).  Do you have more information confirming that it is indeed the driver that is responsable for the memory leak.  If so, we could give this driver a try.  There are coming up soon with their Vista compatible driver.

Marc

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 1:02 AM
  • Would KB933245 "A handle leak in Lsm.exe may occur every time that Windows Media Player 11 plays an audio file in Windows Vista" fix this problem also?

Marc

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 4:49 PM
  • I can confirm that revision 1.2 of the hotfix fixed the problem.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2007 8:05 PM