none
Cannot install Entity Framework 4.1 RRS feed

• Question

• After installing EF 4.1, I open a project that has as EDMX. You open the EDMX, but it won't open in the designer - just an XML editor. When I try to Add a New Entity Data Model, it says it can't load Microsoft.Data.Tools.VSXmlDesignerBase, Version=10.0.0.0.

When I try to run the installer again, it always says it's "resuming". I have uninstalled and re-installed more times than I can count, but I always get the same result. I was running fine with EF 4.0 prior to this.

I have tried getting it with NuGet. It says it "Successfully installed 'EntityFramework 4.1.10331.0', but it still will not load the designer.

I can see the dll in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE, but I can't get there from here.

jon b
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jon,

Welcome!

I couldn't repro your scenario, did you install any add-ins, I think you can try use the savemode of VS by this command: devenv /savemode

If it doesn't work, you may try to reset your VS by: devenv /resetting.

EF4.1 is built on EF4.0, you should reinstall all CTP version between 4.0 and 4.1 then install EF4.1 installer.

Please let me know your feedback.

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:23 AM
  • Are you serious? It's /Safemode and it doesn't help. The other one is /ResetSettings and it doesn't help, either.
    jon b
    Friday, July 22, 2011 1:46 PM
  • Hi,

>>I have tried getting it with NuGet. It says it "Successfully installed 'EntityFramework 4.1.10331.0', but it still will not load the designer.

Does it works for code-first sample? http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adonet/archive/2011/03/15/ef-4-1-code-first-walkthrough.aspx

Right Click the EDMX file--->open with---> ADO.NET Entity Data Model Designer

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:25 PM
  • Hi,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side.  Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know.   I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 3:53 PM