Exporing video redirection feature of Windows 7. Need help? RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to Media Foundation. Currently working on a appication which can capture video/audio streams on RDP 7.0.

• I am exploring the video redirection feature on the RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) connection on Windows 7. I would like to capture the audio/video streams before it is displayed by the media player (on the client side).

• I had done few investigations and found a function IMFRemoteDesktopPlugin::UpdateTopology() which Modifies a topology for use in a Terminal Services environment. What this means is the user if chooses to use other media player he is free to do so. Hence, I need any input regarding the interface which I should use to read the stream directly from the RDP layer.

• Finally, The approach I am thinking is whenever remote session is established using mstsc.exe and the user selects video file. I just spawn a new application which captures the stream of data been used by the Media Player. Any other useful inputs would be of great help.

• Edited by jairajrao28 Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:36 AM Additional information
    Monday, March 28, 2011 4:34 PM

Answers

• The communication protocol can be found at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd342975(v=prot.10).aspx, but it only matters when you write your own RDP client I think.

The IMFRemoteDesktopPlugin interface is for Media Player apps designed to work on a terminal service server to opt-in audio and video playback redirection. I don't think it works on the client side.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by jairajrao28 Thursday, May 5, 2011 7:50 AM
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:58 AM